Ginger beer recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pitch 1988

Reaction score
Hi all

New to home brewing and decided to home brew a batch of ginger beer now I bought a coopers diy kit couple weeks ago I decided today to brew some ginger beer. I have been googling different recipies on how to do it so I thought give mine a try and see what happens.

I understand coopers no longer sell the ginger beer so I had to settle for brigalow.

Here goes

Brigalow ginger beer
1kg dextrose
1kg brewing sugar
1kg raw sugar
750ml ginger cordial
30g all spice ground
30g cinnamon ground

According to the brigalow kit the alcoholic version should take 6 days to brew does anyone have any GB recipes to share?

Thanks

I second this, looking for a good ginger beer.

Currently just put into the fermenter the mangrove Jack's ginger beer with #15 DME enhancer. It comes with a sweetener which I only used about 1/4 of the packet because it tasted really artificial, can always add more on bottling, but cant take it out!

I really like Bunderberg ginger beer, anyone tried to replicate that in an alcoholic version?

The fermentation won’t be finished in 6 days I would give it 2 to 3 weeks. Let us know how it turns out. When coopers discontinued the ginger beer I stocked piled a heap of the cans (my wife likes it) and I only have one left so I need to find a replacement.

Edit: I don't have any left, the Morgans cans are similar but are a bit milder than the coppers.

Last edited:
The fermentation won’t be finished in 6 days I would give it 2 to 3 weeks. Let us know how it turns out. When coopers discontinued the ginger beer I stocked piled a heap of the cans (my wife likes it) and I only have one left so I need to find a replacement.
Brigalow bigw have these for $14

I found the Morgan's kit pretty good but it didn't have the spice that ginger beer usually has so on batch 2 I added a sprincle of chilli powder to the brew, sounds a little crazy but it enhanced the flavor and no one even picked up on it.

Hi all

New to home brewing and decided to home brew a batch of ginger beer now I bought a coopers diy kit couple weeks ago I decided today to brew some ginger beer. I have been googling different recipies on how to do it so I thought give mine a try and see what happens.

I understand coopers no longer sell the ginger beer so I had to settle for brigalow.

Here goes

Brigalow ginger beer
1kg dextrose
1kg brewing sugar
1kg raw sugar
750ml ginger cordial
30g all spice ground
30g cinnamon ground

According to the brigalow kit the alcoholic version should take 6 days to brew does anyone have any GB recipes to share?

Thanks
Hi. I find the Morgan's kit very similar to the Coopers. I add 120g if fresh ginger, sliced and steeped for half an hour with one cinnamon stick and one Clove. I then add this steped Liquid to the fermenter with the kit and 1.5 kilo of dextrose.
Your recipe has ALOT of fermentables, too many in my opinion, for a first brew. The dextrose, raw sugar and 'brewing' sugar along with the Cordial are going to give you approx 7% or more in 20L. I'd Try 2kg fermentables first, aiming for about 4.5/5%. Learn the craft of brewing, before making high alcohol beverages. It's not as simple as just adding more sugars.

I'd give it minimum 10 days at 18-20 degrees. I usually let mine stay in the fermenter for 14 day temperature controlled at 18. At the end of the day, it's about stable final gravity readings, as long as the end up in the right ball park, ie not high. More time usually results in better flavours, and less chance of bottle bombs.

Don't rush the process.

Try this on for size! 1 kg fresh ginger, 5 oranges,3 lemons,3 limes,5 cinnamon sticks,1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 3.5 kilos raw sugar,5 teaspoons yeast nutrient if available, 2 packets safale 04 yeast. Grate ginger, Juice and zest all the citrus. Heat in a large pot along with 9 or 10 litres of water. Bring to boil and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Cool and transfer to fermenter and add cold water to 23 litres. Pitch yeast. After 2 weeks transfer or strain into a secondary fermenter. After another week or 2 prime and bottle. Let sit for a couple of weeks before drinking and you will have a wonderful ginger beer that is refreshing and well carbonated. Beware though, the last one I produced was around 9.5%.You can reduce the amount of sugar if you wish for a lower %. I have also produced this recipe with a champagne yeast which resulted in a drier less sweeter beverage. Cheers

Ive got some 12 month old GB from my father in law, its Brigalow and all he used to do was put in extra powdered ginger and normal sugar. It tastes great. Ive made coopers and Brigalow and I prefer Brigalow. Coopers seemed to take much longer to taste as nice. I just put extra raw ginger in and leave it in for the full fermentation as well as adding extra sugar or reducing the litres. Everyone i have ever given any to reckons its pretty good.

Good to hear that the brigalow canned ginger comes out like the coopers one of old.

I too bought a stockpile of cans when they were discontinued, 20 I think and they too are all gone.

I tried the Morgan’s can and it was ok little less spicy but good. I recently tried the mangrove jacks pouch and find it horrible. The artificial sweetener wasn’t added and probably should have been, took ages to start and might have got some what infected during ferment. The colour is like a nut brown ale and has a weird flavour but that could be the infection maybe.

I’m doing a brigalow atm so will report back soon, I did 1kg of dex and 1kg of raw sugar filled to 21L it only came out with an OG of 1034 from memory so would be as high alc % as the coopers with the same sugar additions.

I’ll report back when finished ferment but looks the right colour and smelt great when starting.

Cheers

Try this on for size! 1 kg fresh ginger, 5 oranges,3 lemons,3 limes,5 cinnamon sticks,1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 3.5 kilos raw sugar,5 teaspoons yeast nutrient if available, 2 packets safale 04 yeast. Grate ginger, Juice and zest all the citrus. Heat in a large pot along with 9 or 10 litres of water. Bring to boil and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Cool and transfer to fermenter and add cold water to 23 litres. Pitch yeast. After 2 weeks transfer or strain into a secondary fermenter. After another week or 2 prime and bottle. Let sit for a couple of weeks before drinking and you will have a wonderful ginger beer that is refreshing and well carbonated. Beware though, the last one I produced was around 9.5%.You can reduce the amount of sugar if you wish for a lower %. I have also produced this recipe with a champagne yeast which resulted in a drier less sweeter beverage. Cheers

I like the look of this but absolutely OTT to boil for that length of time. Your objective is not extraction which is relatively easy, but sanitation for which a 15 min biol is quite sufficient.
Note that freezing (best in cup cake molds), after pulping in a food processor, is super convenient & aids extraction.

I like the look of this but absolutely OTT to boil for that length of time. Your objective is not extraction which is relatively easy, but sanitation for which a 15 min biol is quite sufficient.
Note that freezing (best in cup cake molds), after pulping in a food processor, is super convenient & aids extraction.
Are you just going through, digging up old GB threads and posting on them?

Are you just going through, digging up old GB threads and posting on them?

Thou he has actually contributed good info to save time and energy. Then offered up helpful advice on the processing/storing of the ginger root. Better useful info added than not at all.

Pitch yeast? Please explain!

what type of yeast is best.

I bought a kit from the home brew shop that had a lager can, they changed that over for me for a ginger beer.
But the yeast was the same.
It cam out a little too beer like for me, can i assume changing yeast would help that?

I prefer COLONY WEST Sone Ginger Beer flavour with natural carbonation.
It uses 300ml of some sort of ginger extract.
1x 69g nutrient package.
1x 20g nutrient package.
5g EC-118 yeast.
I’m uncertain of what the nutrient packets are.
I think one is citric acid and the other yeast nutrient.
Can anyone confirm this as I would like to produce a copy cat version of my own?

I prefer COLONY WEST Sone Ginger Beer flavour with natural carbonation.
It uses 300ml of some sort of ginger extract.
1x 69g nutrient package.
1x 20g nutrient package.
5g EC-118 yeast.
I’m uncertain of what the nutrient packets are.
I think one is citric acid and the other yeast nutrient.
Can anyone confirm this as I would like to produce a copy cat version of my own?
I am guessing the nutrient packages are one a nutrient, and the other some sort of enzyme to drive the FG down. This is a cheap way of producing a dry, crisp drink which is what you want in a Ginger Beer I assume?

Also, are you sure it's 69g of nutrient and 20g of enzyme? I would think they would be about 1/10th of that, being 7g and 2g.

EC-1118 is a Champagne Yeast that will finish up all the sugars anyway, so I wouldn't think the enzyme would help that much if using a champagne yeast like EC-1118 as she will finish up DRY. Like the sahara! But that's what I enjoy in GB or Lemonades etc.

Regards

I am guessing the nutrient packages are one a nutrient, and the other some sort of enzyme to drive the FG down. This is a cheap way of producing a dry, crisp drink which is what you want in a Ginger Beer I assume?

Also, are you sure it's 69g of nutrient and 20g of enzyme? I would think they would be about 1/10th of that, being 7g and 2g.

EC-1118 is a Champagne Yeast that will finish up all the sugars anyway, so I wouldn't think the enzyme would help that much if using a champagne yeast like EC-1118 as she will finish up DRY. Like the sahara! But that's what I enjoy in GB or Lemonades etc.

Regards
No, I'm not sure what they are. All the instructions say, is to add both packs of nutients.

Back