Ginger beer recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what type of yeast is best.

I bought a kit from the home brew shop that had a lager can, they changed that over for me for a ginger beer.
But the yeast was the same.
It cam out a little too beer like for me, can i assume changing yeast would help that?

D47 yeast if you can get it. It's often recommended for cider, which I think it would be awesome for. Should be good for ginger ale too. I've only used it for fermenting an early pick red wine, but got a good impression from that experience.

I've made a fair bit of mead, and while D47 is a good yeast, you need to get it off the Lees fast and it has a tendency to throw huge fusel alcohol issues if you go even a little too warm with it.

Try your hand at 71B if you can get it, a much more forgiving yeast and very nice.

I do agree with you hoppy2b that D47 is a nice yeast though, just caution is all.

71B is a lot of banana esters. D47 will bring up the acidity. D47 being recommended for cider, hence my reasoning behind using it in ginger ale. I have actually used 71B to make both wine and beer. They are 2 very different yeasts.

At the end of the day it will really come down to individual preference and what the individual wants their ginger ale to taste like.

Thanks for the tips regarding D47 Kadmium.

Great thread ladies and gents. Just one thought. Would love to know the results of the various recipes/ suggestions / experiments or more recent results. (There appear to be a few missing) I am sure many would be interested in a cost effective, tasty brew.( both sweet and dry)

Back