Ginger Beer Recipe - Scratch Brew No Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Nick the Knife

Reaction score
If kegging you don’t need to sterilise the yeast before backsweeteneing if you refrigerate the keg immediately as the cold temp will halt secondary fermentation.

Lactose can get very gummy too, the fake ones are best, but you can taste them if looking.
Fair point for those kegging - as mentioned I'm bottling so alas trickier.

"Fake ones are best but you can taste them if looking"? haha not sure what you mean by this - sounds like part of a devious puzzle.

I'm pretty sure the only option is an artificial sweetener - as mentioned the bog standard Aspartame type ones likely as good as any.

Liambeer

Reaction score
I meant the artificial sweetener's. some people can taste or dislike them more than others. A bit of extra ginger, or lemon or something can mask them to some degree

Nick the Knife

Reaction score
Ok due to car issues (warranty matter with Hyundai - PITA!) I couldn;t make it into town to get the artifical sweetner. Woolies was out so grabbed 2 packets of the Coles brand ones.

Racked to secondary today (just a day short of 3 weeks) no signs of any issues. As I wasn't worried about aeration issues with hops I used a jiggle siphon to transfer. Worked very well and though I'd brought a strainer out I forgot to use it but I was able to keep it in the 'mid' level so the ginger skin on top didn't get in and the trub-ginger layer on the bottom didn't either. So very clean transfer. 24L

Boiled small amount of water, added one entire packet of the sweeteners. Added to secondary, though I considered adding half and then tasting. Slightly on the sweeter end of what I'd like but I think it'll balance with carbonation as opposed to still.

Added around 220g sugar via a syrup - stirred through for a while. Allowed to dissapate for 30mins or so while i sanitised the bottles (all Coopers 750ml). Despite the botttling wand losing it's tip and making a GUSH semi-disaster on me - still got 33 bottles. SO we'll see come 3-4 weeks.

I didn't add any extra citrus etc at bottling - felt it easier to do in the glass.

Latest posts