Ginger Beer FG Too High?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawn

Reaction score
Hi there!
This is my first time brewing ever so sorry if this is pretty basic but i'd love some oppions.

I've had my ginger beer in the fermenter for just over a week now (7 days 18 hours to be exact) and I think my gravity is still too high to bottle.

For a 20L batch i used 4kg of light malt extract.
My OG was 1.060.
A couple of days ago (4 days and 10 hours since pitching my champagne yeast) i took a gravity reading and it measured 1.025 so i thought i'd leave it a bit longer. Now (52 hours later) it is only at 1.021.
I will take another reading tomorrow to see if it is still fermenting but is this normal for it to be still so high?

Any advice/info appreciated :)

Cheers

GB ferments much more slowly than normal beer - not that the frame of reference means much to you since you're new, I guess. You are quite correct in that you've got a long way to go - especially when using champagne yeast. GBs can often finish down very low - often 1000 or lower but with all your extract I suspect it'll be a bit higher than that. Still a long way to go in any case. Just forget about it 'til next weekend then take another sample.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Ohhh ok well that makes much more sense :)
It's good to just be re-assured so that i don't have to be worried.
Seeing as its my first time i've been over analysing every little thing haha.
I'll do as you said and check it next weekend

Hey sawn,

I'm new to brewing, but FWIW, I tried a GB in December w 1kg light malt DME & 1 kg dextrose to make a 17.5L batch. It took almost twice as long to ferment as the beer batch from the week earlier (10d compared to 5d). It's OG was 1.042, FG was 1.006.

So I'd guess if u started w 4kg malt in 23L, your brew will take a fair bit longer & end higher in FG. So, you've probably got a way to go - as Bum said, at least a few more days - & I'd guess it'll finish a bit lower than 1.020.

Back