Ghetto immersion chiller.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431neb

Reaction score
Was cleaning up the shed and came across a coil of 1/2 inch annealed copper. I've wanted to make a wort chiller since I started AG so I just started messing around with it to see how hard it would be to coil. I know that most of you blokes coil it around a corny keg but I'm yet to take that step so i started on a Bunnings bucket and then tightened the coils on a 10 l paint can. Fair bit of grunting and groaning to do it by yourself. I imagine that a well secured pole or machine-round would make it a lot easier to get neat and tidy coils. I'm a bit pissed off that they are so out of shape but I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend more time on it.

I used some stainless wire (cord for balustrades), some swages to secure it and some stainless wire to hold it all in place. I boil in a stainless keg so I'm guessing that'll be OK.

I bent the copper connectors so It fits out of the handles on the keg. That way I can keep the lid on as it cools even though it's a bit loose. Keep the bugs out and all.

I searched for a recent thread without much luck , so I thought I'd start a new one.

Haven't used it yet.

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

dammag said:
Looks good. How many meters of tube did it take to make it?
That was virtually a whole coil of lagged copper by the look of the coil when I found it. I will fit a false bottom in the keg(gle) eventually so it sits a little high. Because of the height I think some of the coil won't be immersed thus wasting some copper I suppose.

Reckon you could share how you assembled the adaptors?

Currently I have some vinyl tubing and I'd like to reassemble the ones I have, but have no idea on how to do it. I'd rather use the hoses in the backyard for in/out.

Cheers,

Brad

brad81 said:
Reckon you could share how you assembled the adaptors?

Currently I have some vinyl tubing and I'd like to reassemble the ones I have, but have no idea on how to do it. I'd rather use the hoses in the backyard for in/out.

Cheers,

Brad
Brad, the fittings are flared on the 1/2" copper side and the same size as a hose bib connector needs on the other ... Is that 1/2? I dunno. So ... In my best plumbers lingo - they laugh at me when I go to Reece for the boys - "1/2 inch flare by 3/4 male iron". That should get you what you need at a decent plumbing store - on't go to masters or Bunnings. Double check the size needed for a hose bib connector first.

You lost me with the vinyl tubing - like Auspex or Sharkbite? Oh I think I get it. My intention is to plug the hose onto each side (garden hose) ...I just have to screw 'on the hose connectors after i sit the coil in the pot. I just haven't put them on for the pic.

Incidentally i think that if a male to male (brass) hose joiner is drilled out slightly it can be silver soldered to 3/4 copper pipe. That would be cool but I am too lazy for that shit. Will post close-ups later.

dougsbrew said:
heres my ghetto immersion chiller.

Brad ! Same as my pool. I was gonna chuck a cube in for the next brew but I guess I won't need it now. A submersible pump and a pool would make a good water supply a heat exchanger come to think of it. I wonder if one of the pool jets could be... OK , I'm getting off on a tangent.

Aren't the covers a pain in the ring? Has the rope around the bottom frayed and fallen apart yet? I put one around the top and it's a s tight as a drum now.

Pics 3 & 4 along with your earlier description help a lot. Thanks for that :)

Pic of the vinyl I mentioned:

IMAG0277.jpg

brad81 said:
Pics 3 & 4 along with your earlier description help a lot. Thanks for that :)

Pic of the vinyl I mentioned:
AHHH. Gotcha.

Was bragging to a plumber mate tonight (Crap! I should have asked about plumbing terminology on that ******* fitting) about my pipe bending skill (Yeah right) and realised that if i cut either the handles or a slot in the side of the keg opening that it will be a lot easier to put in .

PS Does anyone know why the outside of my keg is rusty? I attacked it with a cup brush. Was I overzealous or should I go harder? i see some friggin' shiny kegs around here. What is the secret ? (I hope it's not skill and hard work).

jammer said:
That's not ghetto. That's fancy!
Thanks Jammer. I thrive on praise. It's better than money.

maybe the keg has rust on it from some metal sparks from cutting or other metal contact that has reacted with the keg. ..cheers..spog..

Get some oxalic acid from bunnos (it's called diggers rust cleaner and near the timber yard in my bunnos)

It will strip the rust and repassivate the stainless. Any time you cut the stainless or chip or scratch, it will take the protective layer off that section, so you have to strip the entire area with an acid and it will repassivate over a few days, I just let mine drip dry.

That will stop any more rust. Chiller looks good! Nice work.

Cheers Jurt.

I tried the chiller last night for the first time.

I need to cut some slots in the keggle for the copper ends to drop into as I (stupidly) have to remove the hose fittings that are perilously close to my cooled wort, thus risking contamination from drips of tank water. Didn't think that through eh?

Lid sits OK over the chiller (bit wobbly). I didn't time it but it must have taken 40 minutes to drop the wort down to 26 degrees using water from the tank which is probably about 17 degrees.

All in all I'm very happy with it. Surprised at how quick it was in fact. I turned the pump off at one stage so I could eat my dinner without over chilling the wort.

My coil looks like Frankenstein compared to your lovely coil... I am too ashamed to post a picture of it.

I love the idea of using the stainless thread to keep it tidy, might try that one myself.

Edak said:
My coil looks like Frankenstein compared to your lovely coil... I am too ashamed to post a picture of it.

I love the idea of using the stainless thread to keep it tidy, might try that one myself.
Stainless wire might be better edak. I had some and I used it to tension the braided wire but something of the gauge of fencing wire might be better than the braided stuff.

The reason I would swap out the braided stuff - Apart from the nooks an crannies within it - Is because the chrome on the brass swages dissapeared during the brew.

Ignorance is bliss. I don't want to know what compounds it has left in the beer.

EDIT.

That said I'm not so worried that I would change it.

Thought I should add that it takes about 25 mins to cool my wort down using 15 degree tank water.

Hey Neb, you got a pipe bending tool handy?

My immersion chiller is nowhere near as well formed as yours, and the bendy bits are just about to kink if I add any more unsupported bend to them.

If you've got a pipe bender or some level of skillz, maybe I could borrow them/you some time. Would recompense you in either quality beer, or languishing of praise, of course.

Ok guys....time to ruin the fun.......

A nice coil of copper tub is about the worst form you can use...why.....well I am glad you asked

The coil will only cool the wort directly around it. This leaves hot wort in the center and sides of the kettle.

What you need to do to increase the cooling speed is.

Agitate the wort as you cool

or

Make a birds nest out of your tube to increase the areas of hot wort.

Next time you use your nicely formed coil take a thermometer and check the temp difference in various parts of the kettle...remember that water is a poor conductore of heat...

^ Can definitely recommend that too.

I ended up pulling every alternate coil to the right (or left if you're that way inclined) and have noticed a drastic improvement in cooling speed. Give it a stir every now and then too.

WarmBeer, I have a pipe bender you can borrow. If I remember correctly it was about $15 from Bunnings if you want to get your own.

Back