Ghetto Hop Spider, Version 2.0

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
After my first PVC pipe hop spider was distorted into oblivion by the boil-off steam, I decided to make a new and improved version. The item used is a Coles brand cutterlery "rack", which is perforated with a hole diameter perfectly suited to the dowel I had for the first version spider. The top of the rack has a lip, which I've used at the bottom to prevent the clamp from sliding off. 10 seconds of dodgey angle-grinding and here it is:

ssspider1.jpg

ssspider2.jpg

RIP Hop Spider V1.0

IMG_0344.jpg

Cheers

Excellent - could probably get away with a single dowel, will have
to keep this in mind if I build one of these.

Excellent - could probably get away with a single dowel, will have
to keep this in mind if I build one of these.

The second dowel is required to prevent it tip-trucking, so to speak. If you wanted to groove it up, you could use 3 long threaded bolts with nuts and washers and secure them so that they don't occupy any internal space.

Edit: it was <$4 too.

Hi guys,

What is the benefit of a hop spider over how I do it, a hop bag clipped to the rim of my kettl with a bulldog clip?

Hi guys,

What is the benefit of a hop spider over how I do it, a hop bag clipped to the rim of my kettl with a bulldog clip?

Easier for multiple additions? Just tip them in?

I like the stainless hop spider :)

Is it stainless?

Doesnt ur hopsock have 'handles' on the inside ala the ones craftbrewer sell? If so id just be slotting the dowel tgru those (in fact thats what I di, except I use sone silisone hose).

Im all for inginuity, justworking out why youve.done what uve done

Doesnt ur hopsock have 'handles' on the inside ala the ones craftbrewer sell? If so id just be slotting the dowel tgru those (in fact thats what I di, except I use sone silisone hose).

Im all for inginuity, justworking out why youve.done what uve done

It's a keg-king hop-sock. It is sold as an open-ended tube, more or less. So I just tied a knot in one and and fastened the other as-is.

I supposed I could have made some holes and threaded the dowel through the bag, but I have a feeling it would draw inwards and not guarantee a clear opening into which the hops can be easily thrown.

I will probably pick up some bolts and make the inside of the device completely clear of obstruction when I next go to Bunnings. This brings me to the purpose of the spider, which is:

1. to keep me busy with a cheap DIY project (not that it lasted long, but it was fun)
2. to allow an unobstructed pathway for hops to be added to the boil within a hop sock without ANY changes between additions.

Being a single vessle BIAB kettle, I have no false bottom over my pick-up, so hop debri in the boil = major losses on my final volume. Point 2 covers the remaining reasons for the specific design + the fact that it cost less than $10 including the sock.

Easier for multiple additions? Just tip them in?

I like the stainless hop spider :)

Is it stainless?

In all honesty, I'm not certain it's stainless (for $3.95 you'd have to have doubts), and even it it was it would be the cheapest grade possible. It will probably eventually rust, but given that the original purpose of its design is to be continuously wet, I would wager that it will take a long time before it starts happening. The main point for me is that it won't distort - and it actually cost less than the piece of poly pipe I originally used haha

I find having hops in the boil keeps the trub cone together better. I have nothing over my pick up and get clear wort all the way down. I have not bothered with a hopsock since going into AG although flowers can be a pain when they get stuck in the pickup tube.

Picked up some bolts from Bunnings and tidied up the hop spider. Nice clear path for the hop drop now.

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

I'll hijack my own thread with another Ghetto invention too. Due to the inability to hang a rope from the ceiling of my laundry, I came up with this:

IMG_0383.jpg

I pull the grain bag out, slip the holey mixing bowl in and put the bag back down again. Should help get the boil going quicker too. Ghetto without a doubt, but will save the need for holding the grain bag and provides enough surface area to contain a 5kg grist while pushing down on it to strain it.

Latest posts

Back