Ghetto Brau version for Crown 40l Urn (suggestions for internal bucket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McFeast

Reaction score
Bloody hell, Im trying to think of the name of that internal steel pot they raise with the Brau.

Anyway, I am looking at replacing the BIAB Bag component with something similar to the Brau, anyone got any suggestions?
I remember a couple of years ago someone tried this with a bucket, but wasnt too happy. Old bud on the sunny coast who won the comps.... jeez I am so blank right now, I think I need a beer to sort my head out.

hope you blokes understand what I am looking to do here. quite simple really.
cheers.

I know what you mean. I thought of a similar idea a year ago or so. But the bag works fine for me so I didn't bother...

Old bud here - just a quick post as I'm off cruisin for chicks in half an hour.... had to move from Bribie, too many people on to me.

I used a handy pail from Bunnings with a heap of holes in the bottom, then a wire strainer wrapped in hopsock material to form a filter-bed.

Yes it worked but I found the grain was trapping too much wort. I'm a squeezer and like to get as much wort out as possible. And no I don't get tannins etc.

Tried a number of other things such as a separate lauter tun etc but went back to the bag (actually a big circle of voile).

Happy. :)

Sorry Bribie!
Mate, it has been a while since I've been on here, let alone posted. So thanks for your help. I was planning on a pale like you said, but i'd still fit the bag inside. figured that would be the easiest without much work.

would love to find a steel or aluminium pale to use instead of plastic. anyone know where I can get one from, without getting a kitchen pot and drilling holes?

Gunna change your name to Old Bar now mate?

cheers.

I'd thought of Old Bar Fly but I'll stick with Bribie for nostalgic reasons :p

i also tried the bucket method with pump. Also scrapped and back to the voile sheet. Playing around now with thicker mash + batch sparge to check efficiency differences.

BigNath had some success with a recirc system. from memory with a crab cooker insert.

Bribie G said:
I'd thought of Old Bar Fly but I'll stick with Bribie for nostalgic reasons :p
you just want to keep your hard earnt post count

I'd keep it anyway - I used to be BribieG but changed it to Bribie - space - G so I'd be harder to track on Google.

No fucken difference :huh:

Edit:

Peak beer.jpg

I've tried a ghetto Brau with my Birko urn. I didn't want to cut holes in the urn. I used a Big W pot drilled like a false bottom for the grain, inside of another Big W pot. The outside pot was bottom fed with liquor to give upflow recirc. I had problems working out how to get the wort out of the outer pot on boil, and how to drain. Instead I went top flow but then had to restrict my pump to match drain through the bed. Lots of stuffing around.

If you go top flow, you will have to match drain through the bed. If you go bottom flow, you will need to work around bypassing the bed and draining the grain.

In the end I gave up, went back to BIAB and now I've bought a proper Brau.

Beer quality was no different using BIAB vs recirc BIAB methods. Haven't yet fired up the Brau but I'm not expecting a change in quality (maybe consistency), However I didn't buy it for that. I wanted bigger batches and automation to free up some time.

edit: added stuff

Tried the bucket in a urn and after 6 or so modifications and as many frustrating brews I bought a brau. You will not regret it !!!!!

What about a yabbie pump? you could drive the mash into a flitering receptacle with a "return to the urn" I reckon you could pump a 5kg mash in no time.

Back