Getting the Numbers right.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about taking a FG reading 5 mins before end of boil, have some dry malt extract on hand and go to what ever brew software you are using and adjust your numbers to whatever your FG you are getting for that brew, then keep adding some extract to the recipe until you hit the FG you are chasing, then add that amount to the boil in the last few mins.

thebigwilk said:
How about taking a FG reading 5 mins before end of boil, have some dry malt extract on hand and go to what ever brew software you are using and adjust your numbers to whatever your FG you are getting for that brew, then keep adding some extract to the recipe until you hit the FG you are chasing, then add that amount to the boil in the last few mins.
after much tooing and frohing I can just accept that its a 7point gain on gravity from a 90mins boil. Looking to improve my lautering/sparge, boil vigour and final volume into the FV with a few options but for the numbers, right now just design the recipe 3points higher - eg target 1.055 so set it for 1.058 and I should get that each time, would be nice to get that 1 gravity point per 9 mins instead of 1 per 13mins, may have to start anotehr thread to see what people are getting but alot of brewers arent taking gravity preboil, just post boil.

Pratty1 said:
after much tooing and frohing I can just accept that its a 7point gain on gravity from a 90mins boil. Looking to improve my lautering/sparge, boil vigour and final volume into the FV with a few options but for the numbers, right now just design the recipe 3points higher - eg target 1.055 so set it for 1.058 and I should get that each time, would be nice to get that 1 gravity point per 9 mins instead of 1 per 13mins, may have to start anotehr thread to see what people are getting but alot of brewers arent taking gravity preboil, just post boil.
hey mate, i always take a gravity reading pre-boil and post-boil. if i'm really under with my pre-boil i'll adjust with dme or sugar or something unless it's way out and it would change the beer way too much, but that hasn't been for a while. i have never really thought to use the math calculation of how long vis-a-vis how many gravity points i "gain" though. i suppose it makes sense and all. my boil is not vigorous but certainly a rolling boil. can you add anything like an over the side electric element or something to increase it or just boil longer based on your 13 mins calculation?

fletcher said:
hey mate, i always take a gravity reading pre-boil and post-boil. if i'm really under with my pre-boil i'll adjust with dme or sugar or something unless it's way out and it would change the beer way too much, but that hasn't been for a while. i have never really thought to use the math calculation of how long vis-a-vis how many gravity points i "gain" though. i suppose it makes sense and all. my boil is not vigorous but certainly a rolling boil. can you add anything like an over the side electric element or something to increase it or just boil longer based on your 13 mins calculation?
I have thought of the DME additions but have not gone that path while im trying to fine tune the system. End of the day Im making a keg and of beer each brew and all things beer wise are great but the technical person in me wants to see the numbers add up when i run my system, Im surpised I havent made a Kpi spreadsheet for it yet.......

Im looking into a domed hood with a 150mm hole ( see other link below ) instead of an over the side heater and hopefully that will bring the boil vigour up some and maybe close the gap of 13mins per 1GP to the targeted 9mins.

Im running at 65% which is on the low side so I am updated my pickup tube on the BM with one of these mods on the link below.

https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62

This will reduce my trub volume currently at 4.5lts ( due to insane hop amounts absorbing wort ) down to hopefully less than 1ltr. That then reduces the amount of malt required to make my APA due to the smaller start water volume increasing the gravity of that water and my efficiency will get to 75+% which will make me happy.

https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=197

I think i may also need to look at my grain crush, since MHB's base malt stocks became a problem i have had my own malt and using another LHBS to mill that which i run through twice as the gap is a little wide, they said i can adjust it which I may do next milling session

I haven't read all the posts in this thread however I have racked up about 20 or 30 brews on my 20L brau in the last 18 months.

My figures are:

Evaporation: 3.1L/hr (basically 11% based on my batch sizes)

If I hit my preboil gravity bang on, my post boil gravity is usually 2 points under what it is supposed to be. I just always seem to lose a couple of points into thin air. I put it down to being break material etc. If I measure my preboil gravity and it is 2 point up from what my brewing software predicts, I know I'm going to be pretty damn close to the calculated OG.

Not sure if this is the right topic, but after the grain bill, the important thing for me is to hit my numbers right regardless of mash or boil time. A brew day could be 6 hours or 12 relative to the grain and environment.

Back