Getting the most out of grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feralbass

Reaction score
I folks,

Looking to start BIAB brewing after years of kits and bits.
Currently building my new cooker.
Trying to get the best information I can before I get started.
When I use grains I avoid squeezing the finished grain.
I have read several postings where guys that BIAB squeeze the grain to get more out.
The question i have is, do you squeeze or just drain?

Cheers, John

I recently did my first BIAB, first all grain. I drained over a bucket (hanging from a door knob. Thanks bribie) while waiting to get urn to boil. Did a small squeeze, and a token 1litre hot water sparge. I don't think too critical as biab is at a higher mash ratio so the hold up in the grain is not super concentrated like a thicker mash
Next time I'll just drain.

Squeeze. I've often tasted BIAB free runs and squeezings. No difference. It might matter if your pH and temp are high enough that extracting astringency is a problem, but that shouldn't be the case.

Sparging's a bit different. Squeezing might extract astringency because of long total contact, especially if you sparge warm (I don't).

Another BIAB squeezer here with no astringency or off-flavours

Dont listen to anything negative that American sites say about biab. They are not speaking from experience. I used to squeeze the bag but cant be bothered now. The tiny bit of extra wort you get is negligible. Now i hoist it up and let it sit over the pot while it gets to the boil.

I'm in the 'gentle and affectionate squeeze' party.

A slow incremental bag raise, now thoughtfully aided by this bit of over engineered kit -

mpkKdayHlJZHzvogdoBy8mA.jpg

and a loving embracing squeeze at the end.
It is Valentine's day after all. :)

I squeeze hard and get as much as I can, Lately I'm hitting 80% efficiency with BIAB.
No astringency, and very clear wort, and beer, (double IPA)

Back