Getting Rid Of Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
i seem to be getting most of the trub into my cube

i use a 1/4 tab of whirlfloc 10min before flame out, then i basically swirl the wort around trying to create a whirl pool but it just doesnt happen?
then open tap and out she goes into the cube.
what am i doing wrong? should it sit for a little after flame out?

You need to wait for convection currents to stop. You need to wait a while after whirlpool for everything to settle.

Convection current = lots of visible upward flow of wort and steaming. Use your thermometer to do the following:

Whirlpool after flame out. The trub layer will be pretty significantly settled by the time the wort is at 85C (i.e will stay in the kettle when opening the tap), and at this temp still effective to no chill. I have been told that the commercial standard of hot packing HDPE containers with food stuff is done at 80C (probably cause HDPE tends to start deforming above 80C).

Assuming that you are doing ~25 L brews, a Whirlfloc tablet would be pretty ineffective most would recommend a tablet.
That isnt in any way trying to detract from the other responses you have got patience is a very useful tool in brewing, give it time to settle!
Mark

In my experience you will NEVER get rid of the all of the trub if you no chill although whirlpooling does help to a limited extent.
Not trying to be rude but that's just the way it is so chill out! :p

TP

What is the problem with some, or even a lot, of trub in the fermenter???? Probably a dumb question but new to AG.

thanks everyone for your comments
next time i will leave it be for a bit like suggested

MHB i do 9L brew at the moment

thanks guys

I was showing my bro in law a certain retailers fresh wort kits yesterday, and noted, the trub in the bottom of their cubes.

That said, it is always nice to have trub below the level of the tap in the cube.

If you can try getting some brewbrite, top stuff.

i seem to be getting most of the trub into my cube

i use a 1/4 tab of whirlfloc 10min before flame out, then i basically swirl the wort around trying to create a whirl pool but it just doesnt happen?
then open tap and out she goes into the cube.
what am i doing wrong? should it sit for a little after flame out?

i always use a 1/2 whirlfloc tablet @ 10 mins before flame out.
then leave the kettle alone for 5 minutes. lid on.
stir the kettle to get a nice whirlpool going, only needs about 20/30 seconds then put your lid on and leave it for another 10 mins,open your tap and drain into your cube, you should see that you wont get very much trub into your cube,

this always works well for me.

fergi

You're going to get cold-break in your cube regardless of course, it only reduces the amount of hot-break you're getting in there

i always use a 1/2 whirlfloc tablet @ 10 mins before flame out.
then leave the kettle alone for 5 minutes. lid on.
stir the kettle to get a nice whirlpool going, only needs about 20/30 seconds then put your lid on and leave it for another 10 mins,open your tap and drain into your cube, you should see that you wont get very much trub into your cube,

this always works well for me.

fergi

I'm follow basically the same procedure

Flame out, lid on
10min wait
Whirlpool, lid back on
10min wait
Open the lid just enough to stop it causing a vac when draining
Drain

QldKev

I was showing my bro in law a certain retailers fresh wort kits yesterday, and noted, the trub in the bottom of their cubes.

That said, it is always nice to have trub below the level of the tap in the cube.

Daz, that's cold break, it won't be detrimental to the brew, but it can always be left behind when you fill your fermenter, if that's your preference, personally I pour it all in.

Cheers Ross

Daz, that's cold break, it won't be detrimental to the brew, but it can always be left behind when you fill your fermenter, if that's your preference, personally I pour it all in.

Cheers Ross

That's right, trub is left in your kettle after your whirlpool and with a bit of care when draining you can leave almost all of it there. Chilling or no chilling should make no difference to your amount of trub, in-fact perhaps no chilling would reduce trub into your fermenter if you are careful pouring from your cube.
Like Ross I pour the whole lot in. (including the cold break)

Batz

i try to leave some trub/coldbreak (different things?) behind in the cube in my effort to leave it out of the keg or bottle down the track.

When can u physically see cold break at what temp?

That's right, trub is left in your kettle after your whirlpool and with a bit of care when draining you can leave almost all of it there. Chilling or no chilling should make no difference to your amount of trub, in-fact perhaps no chilling would reduce trub into your fermenter if you are careful pouring from your cube.
Like Ross I pour the whole lot in. (including the cold break)

Batz

So by having the trub in your fermenter, is there no need to add additional nutrient?

One of the dictionaries of brewing I have refers to Trub as Rubbish in the bottom of a tank a brewer doesnt want to transfer with the product
It can be Hot Break, Cold Break, Yeast, or even Protein/Phenol sediment from Lagering. Ideally Hot Break should be left in the kettle; some Cold Break is a valuable nutrient and is of little concern unless there is a massive amount of it; Yeast Trub likewise should be left behind (mostly), Lager sediment definitely wants leaving behind.
In a well made wort there really should be enough nutrient to make the yeast happy, but considering how inexpensive it is a bit of nutrient is a very good idea.
Mark

What do you use for a kettle? I used to brew with a 20 litre urn with an exposed element. No matter what I did I still ended up with hot break in my cube because the element would disrupt the whirlpool.

Now I have a 40 litre concealed element urn which I used for my first brew a few nights ago and I had a nice tight cone of trub in the bottom of my urn.

One thing I've noticed from brewing on a wonky table is that whirpools are far more effective if the kettle/urn is level. If its on a tilt i get a much looser cone than when it is level.

What do you use for a kettle? I used to brew with a 20 litre urn with an exposed element. No matter what I did I still ended up with hot break in my cube because the element would disrupt the whirlpool.

Now I have a 40 litre concealed element urn which I used for my first brew a few nights ago and I had a nice tight cone of trub in the bottom of my urn.

Is your new urn a much larger diameter than the old one?
I struggled to get any cone formation in my 30lt urn (gas fired). Since i switched to a larger diameter pot a few brews ago i'm getting good formation every time.

Urn was approx 30cm diameter
New pot 45cm

Is this a determining factor in cone formation?

Is your new urn a much larger diameter than the old one?
I struggled to get any cone formation in my 30lt urn (gas fired). Since i switched to a larger diameter pot a few brews ago i'm getting good formation every time.

Urn was approx 30cm diameter
New pot 45cm

Is this a determining factor in cone formation?

Yes it is wider, old urn was 30cm new one is probably 40 or 45 cm. But, before I brought the new urn I used to transfer to my 20 litre pot before whirlpooling and got a nice trub cone in that too.

Back