Getting rid of that "homebrew taste"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question but does anyone have any tips. on how to get rid if that "homebrew taste" i have been only brewing a but over a year and am an partial mash brewer/ extract. i have made some very nice beers that ive been very happy with but id like to be able to get them so other people wouldn't know its homebrew beer. i use good qaulity yeast, follow temp control very well etc.
any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Ps. Im hear to get tips and help my self become a better brewer, we all start somewhere.if you have nothing positive to say then don't comment
No trolls please

beno1 said:
Ps. Im hear to get tips and help my self become a better brewer, we all start somewhere.if you have nothing positive to say then don't comment No trolls please
While I will agree that it is annoying to have a topic derailed, in this case it hasn't happened yet so i would give the members a go and see what comes of your inquiry.

The site is generally moderated pretty well now, so if trolling does happen I am sure it will be dealt with swiftly.

Sit back, relax, have a beer and enjoy.....

Avoid the use of table sugar, except for bottling. Time is your friend. The longer the better.

Unfortunatly with mega swill, it pre programs peoples tastes so they dont actually know what "real" beer tastes like.

If your mates drink VB and other megaswill thats your problem right there. They expect beer to be bland and watered down, and drank icy cold to disguise the vile taste.

My partners ex husband is like that. If I offer him one of my homebrews he knocks it back and would rather drink the megaswill I have in the fridge that other people have left. He wont even try my beer saying he hates the taste of homebrew. (At least im getting rid of the megaswill I would never touch anyway I suppose.)

Try serving your home brew to craft beer drinkers and you generally get a different story.

edit: completely misread the OP

Try and get them to be more specific with what they mean by the "homebrew taste"...

probably all in their heads mate

As others have said, your friends probably drink beer styles that are hard to re-create (and not worth it).
You could always try and make something along the lines of a Little Creatures & then give them both to your friends in glasses & see what they think of the difference.

Also make sure any extract you buy is as fresh as possible.

When I was partial mash I was using up to 3kgs of grains pretty regularly. TasChris then kicked my arse into gear as it slowly dawned on me that I could make smaller all-grain batches with that 3kg of grains or could bump it up to 4 or 5kgs and do full size batches etc.

If YOU are happy then don't worry - but if you can taste 'that homebrew taste' and want to do something about (and you think your yeast handling and fermentation schedule is up to it), then why not try going all-grain?

There are excellent threads on this site to help you, such as:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/38674-move-to-all-grain-for-thirty-bucks/

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/44264-20l-stovetop-all-grain-aussie-lager/

and many, many more (type in your search words, click on 'forums' and change it to google, click on the magnifying glass to search and DONE). :icon_cheers:

EEK! I've become THAT guy…the one who recommends just going AG as the cure-all. Won't be long and I'll be answering bottling questions with 'buy some kegs' haha.

beno1 said:
Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question but does anyone have any tips. on how to get rid if that "homebrew taste" i have been only brewing a but over a year and am an partial mash brewer/ extract. i have made some very nice beers that ive been very happy with but id like to be able to get them so other people wouldn't know its homebrew beer. i use good qaulity yeast, follow temp control very well etc. any help would be appreciated Cheers
how long do you leave your beer before drinking

a minimum of 6 weeks will help

then taste every week and note differences

I usually drink after 12 weeks

Thanks for your help everyone.. you are correct when you say my mates drink all that commercial crap beer. There the ones that wont drink my homebrew. I have a few mate that are into HB , craftbeers etc and they always want a home brew when they come over. Infact the bastards clean my out all the time. Haha i may be looking at going all grain soon when i get a little more confident

In my understanding, the biggest challenge home brewers face with regard to 'homebrew taste' is oxidation - exposure to oxidation through the process and early staling of the beer.

Minimising oxygen pickup, especially at transfer and bottling is not easy, but could play a part in imroving the quality of your beer.

Ps i do agree that HB taste a lot better than commercial beers and i am happy with my brews but i was just wondering what could be done to make it similar to a commercial beer. I tried a mate of mines HB the other night was asashi style jap beer. I couldnt tell the diffrence between the commercial version and his. A bit of a boring beer tho

Fresh is best. Homebrews and craft beers usually have living yeast in them so they will develop and change in taste over time, and attain a peak, well, 'ripeness' when they're best to drink. (Mass market beers, not so much: they can just pasteurise to ensure standardisation, carbonate them if necessary, and I believe use nitrogen to ensure a good foamy head.) I think a beer would be at peak ripeness at about 4-5 weeks after you start fermenting.

Also, presentation helps. Pretty sure most folks around here would have their own brew style - 'weird', 'herbal', 'lots of hops', 'dark beers', 'yeasty', whatever - and once you have your own style, you can really present it to others that way. My own style is kind of a mix of 'weird', 'herbal', and 'historical', and when I give others beers I often like to present it that way. I tie a string round the top and put a cardboard label through that string - or put a sticker on the side describing the ingredients within. If people come over for a drink or two, I like to cook a meal and a dessert to go with the beers to show off their flavours. I guess if you think of the beer not as an alternative to mass market beer, but in terms of the flavours you want and your own personal style, that will be reflected in it when you give it to others.

Any commercial beers you want to emulate the taste of?

beno1 said:
Ps i do agree that HB taste a lot better than commercial beers and i am happy with my brews but i was just wondering what could be done to make it similar to a commercial beer. I tried a mate of mines HB the other night was asashi style jap beer. I couldnt tell the diffrence between the commercial version and his. A bit of a boring beer tho
Have a chat to your mate - whatever he's doing, you seem to like it.

Then report back!

I 100% agree with the train of thought that it's your mates' perception of beer that is the problem. In my experience good home brewers can brew on par with any commercial micro brewery.

Focus your attention on yeast health for a start, it's not just temp to focus on. Pitch rate, oxygen and having a nice nutritious wort for the yeast will help get the best out of whatever yeast you're using. You would be surprised how much US05 is used commercially.

And if you really want to make something to taste more like swill, focus on making tasteless lagers (never ales). The home brew taste they could be referring to is flavor it self. Avoid it at all costs! Ferment it really cold and lager it properly for as long as possible. If the end result is malty carbonated water your might have something they will drink.

Meanwhile I have tried many a brew, but as yet have never managed to create something that my father in law and I will drink.... our palettes are too different.

Start them on Coopers.....if they wont drink that then there is little hope.

Back