Getting into Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holden4th

Reaction score
I've brewed on and off for many years now but stopped about 10 years ago because I couldn't make a brew that tasted any good here on the Gold Coast. Maintaining constant temperature was the main issue. I think I can get round that now and any extra expense to do that is a no brainer as you'll read below

Just recently I picked up a complete kegerator system - minus the kegs - for $70. It is about 8 years old, it's a Haier from the US but most importantly it's never been used. So I've bought the step down transformer and the fridge works well. I've had the CO2 bottle tested, passed and filled and I have now sourced some corny kegs. All that's left to do is remove the sanke coupler and replace it with two ball valve couplers. I already have the gear to do that but have to solve an inner diameter issue on the gas line first. I think what I'm going to do will work. The gas line is a fraction too wide for the spear on the grey CO2 gas ball coupler. I sourced some tubing that will fit the spear and I can then force it into the gas line. A clamp will solve the rest I hope. If it doesn't I am happy to replace the gas line.

I am looking forward to coming home after work and pouring a brew from my own fridge. I am also looking forward to what I can learn on this forum and producing my own beer.

Cheers

Holden4th

Welcome. You will not regret kegging and I wish I'd done the transfer from bottles a lot early. I find one of the big differences is the "crispness" the co2 gas gives vs bottle priming methods. In addition just pouring that beer out of the tap is just something special when you have brewed that particular drop.
Ensure you clean and sanitise everything well and there is a lot of info here on kegging.

Thank you for the welcome.

My local publican is very happy to help me with cleaning issues as far as the lines go. The rest I'll have to do myself but when I was bottling I was meticulous about sanitising both the fermenter and the bottles. However, that's very time consuming so I'm hoping that the kegging process will be easier.

Hi , can you Keg 23 liters of brew into 50 liter commercial Keg ?If you keg and prime the oxygen out can there be any problems?

yessir you can. have google of the ross method, should be on this forum for transferring from keg to keg - assuming you want to do that.
make sure you purge atmosphere out of the 50 L keg. apart from that, you just basically siphon.
might take a bit more co2 but it's peanuts to make sure the beer doesn't oxidise.
only other concern is making sure the fermentation is complete, nothing worse than traub jamming up the line.

just noticed that no one has pulled me up here - i have conflated two things, the ross method be for carbonation. not the siphoning keg to keg thing i was trying to imply.
i will link it once i find it - since search is so omnipotent on this site... that's all.

here it is KEG TO KEG TRASFER ... put that in yr search algorithm... geez.
in my defence Ross posted it... o_O

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/keg-transfer-made-easy.16907/

Last edited:
Back