getting cut off - respect for bartenders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you get cut off you have to grin and take it on the chin.

i've been cut off many times, but i've also had lots of barmen who know i've been pissed and have kept me going, just checking up now and then so i'm not falling over being stupid.

i used to bar tend so i've had my share of cutting people off too. you get your dick heads and you get those who understand and are fine. it's like any customer service job. i get more abuse now working casually in a call centre haha.

respect where it's due though. no one should have acted like that mate. i would have done the same thing you did. the family sound like a bunch of assholes.

We could probably start another thread and tell the tales of woe about the absolute crap service you get in some pubs these days.

With full respect to the barstaff who are required to remove the odd "**** wit" there is many a time when you are on the client side of the bar waiting to be served and there is some young "titter" on the other side talking to a young bloke that she is keen on down the other end of the bar or there is the absolute "cock stud" that takes 20 minutes to serve two "dolly birds" their two drinks of something mixed with cordial, just because he is trying to make an impression.

IMO bring back the barmaid or barman that can serve 5 or 6 schooners or pints at a time, remember what everyone is drinking and who's shout it is and remember who really is paying their wages.
The poor training that results in client dissatisfaction is quite often, brought about from very poor training regime by bar managers and owners with emphasis from my observations on wiping down the bar and stocking bar fridges rather than attending to customers who in some cases come a distant last in their priorities.

Another rambling rant now finished B) Oh! and I have never been asked to leave a bar in my life...unless it was closing :)

Cheers

Totally agree Dicko.

I'm a bit old school, especially when it comes to knowing what people are drinking, that makes my life easier, and the patrons love it.

Got tipped $20 for pouring a yank 3 beers one day because after the first beer, he didnt have to tell me what he was drinking on a busy night. He really appreciated it, said he doesn't see it much anymore. Shame really.

The staff at the Warren View in Enmore SYD 2008-2010 knew my drink and not my name, and that pub is shit loads busier than the one i work in. Really makes a public bar feel like home. That is paramount to a good bar IMHO.

On the topic of rounds, what i cant understand is the younger crowd - say round 19-22 yr olds, all coming in one by one and ordering a single Hahn Super Dry each. It's like no one has taught them how to shout rounds. WTF is wrong with them? They all drink the same thing, so its gonna be equitable?

Keep in mind hospitality is one of the lowest paid industries of all. That guy chatting to the dolly birds will probably get more out of them in that 20 mins than he will from his boss in 2 years.

His boss might **** him but not in the way most people enjoy.

Been asked to leave, and just went next door...been asked to leave and proceeded to walk out via the garden and then got thrown out :lol: we all do stupid things but you have to realise people are there for a good time and not to watch some idiot carry on like a boofhead!

I am a nice quiet drunk anyway so I am more than happy to leave and I usually know I'm done for the night anyway.

Had a close (used to be) mate who was asked to leave once (spilt a drink at the bar trying to pick it up and then dropped his wallet and struggled to pick it up ect, wrecked) and you would have thought they had asked him to give them all the clothes off his back and wallet! Carried on like a bloody child including ready to fight the bouncers (who I might say did nothing to stop/restraint/call cops) so we restrained him and loaded him into a taxi with a sober mate and sent him home. Lets just say we no longer talk...

After 10 years of bartending I'd say a bartender needs to be 3/8 host of the party, 3/8 gentleman butler, 1/8 scholar and 1/8 barbarian. Your "good time" needs to be everyone having a good time, which always means looking after everyone in the bar and sometimes means putting a stop to bullshit, mostly with diplomacy and sometimes backed up with the lion's paw.

My 2 FWIW.

Pickaxe said:
On the topic of rounds, what i cant understand is the younger crowd - say round 19-22 yr olds, all coming in one by one and ordering a single Hahn Super Dry each. It's like no one has taught them how to shout rounds. WTF is wrong with them? They all drink the same thing, so its gonna be equitable?
Its because of the David Copperfield factor. Its more common these days to have say a group of 10 friends and there will be 3 Copperfield's amongst them. So the first few shouts go down well then when it comes to the last 3 shouts they just up an vanish.

I have about 3-4 mates that I know would go shout to shout with me no problems. Just cant trust the rest cause they disappear cause they're tight flogs.

That and there's a smaller amount of beer drinkers in the younger crowds. They usually opt out for the spirits/fizzy alcopops. Men, what the **** happened?

Midnight Brew said:
They usually opt out for the spirits/fizzy alcopops. Men, what the **** happened?
Damn straight!!! Everytime I go out with some of the guys from work in Cronulla (Northies FTW!!) they drink bloody vodka and lime ect I just shake my head and get a real drink!

He owes me a few beers from when I had to save him from a group of bikini clad 18yr old hotties. Tough gig but someone had to help the poor guy

The amount of people i get drinking vodka lime and soda is ridiculous. Apparently is a no carb thing? Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought it was calories more than carba you had to "worry" about with drinking. The whole low carb thing sounds like a scam, like "low fat".

******* vodka lime and soda, what a Shit drink. Ive asked a few people why they drink it, they don't even know why, sheeple.

I have drunk vls on ocassion because it's light and refreshing. Good summer drink. I also like gin lime and tonic.

This is in addition to my tough and tasty drinks like beer and scotch.

I am tough yet sensitive.

I think he did the right thing.
Even when I'm hammered I still know to be polite. Rudeness is one thing, but insults and goading are a bit much to cop at work.
The family sounds pretty trashy - the night wouldn't have been made better from them ganging up on the barkeep.

Low carb is a scam.

There is a load of energy in alcohol. Enough to power an engine. You could have no carbs just pure alcohol and water would still make you fat if you drink too much.

Low carbs work, my uncle who drinks- or drank quite a lot changed to low carb, changed nothing else, drank just as much, atye just as much and dropped about 15kg in 6 months.
Yes carbs do equate to calories but the body uses them differently.

Midnight Brew said:
Its because of the David Copperfield factor. Its more common these days to have say a group of 10 friends and there will be 3 Copperfield's amongst them. So the first few shouts go down well then when it comes to the last 3 shouts they just up an vanish.

I have about 3-4 mates that I know would go shout to shout with me no problems. Just cant trust the rest cause they disappear cause they're tight flogs.
amen mate. my mates and i call it a 'houdini'. i'll buy a few initial rounds, then usually stick to my own beers, unless it's a small close group of mates i'm with

edit: spelling

Latest posts

Back