Getting Better With Age

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishard

Reaction score
G'day All,

The big ploblem I find with making beer is it takes so long before you can try it to see if the changes you have made are good or bad!

I tried the first batch that I used hops in..........it was still quite young only 10days in the bottle. (cant help meself) :rolleyes: . Well what a big difference, the aroma hit me in the face and I could really taste the hops bitterness....in fact I after the second one I thought it was too much. It had a grassy taste that i had read about!

It got me thinking about dry hoping, I had just thrown in a plug on the rack and I remember reading about the GMK tea way and thought I would try it this way next time.

Anyway had another taste tonight its still only 21dys in the bottle but the hops have already mellowed.......its shaping up to be one of my best. Its interesting to taste the changes, even in a short period of time!

I think so far the best things I have done would be........

lower fermentation temp
use better yeast
use hops on the boil and dry hop
don't bottle to soon
don't drink too soon.......... :lol:

When I walk down into the garage I can hear the bottles tremble with fear!

any how just thought I would share some observations as I know there is always plenty of us newbees.

Cheers

On the mark there fishard
And not only ferment at a lower temperture but ferment at a constant controlled temperture.
And hops , sort of opens one eyes to beer hey?

And hops , sort of opens one eyes to beer hey?

too right it does!

Since then I have been playing around different ingredients (not pantry :lol: )

The next big one for me will be steeping some grains........and I have the feeling this will push me over the edge!

The other problem I have is that the more I learn the more I need to know!

Anyone else have some turning points??

You're already past my biggest turning point which was racking. It took me a LONG time before I finally decided it was worth buying the gear and racking a brew and almost instantly I had better tasting, clearer, dry hopped beer and was on the slippery slope. Temp was also obviously important and my brew-fridge and thermostat are things I would not part with. These sites/forums (fora?) help fast-track your brew development in a way that was just not available to me when I started brewing (sorry, 'assisting fermentation' ;) ) with a kit and kilo in 1990 (sorry to come across as an old *******!) and they are great. Go to it Fishard. Maybe we could get together for a brew one day? Newcastle brewers unite!

Shawn.

G'day Gough,

This site and others does fast track you learning. I will take you up on the brew day offer one day.........that would be even more fast tracking :eek:

Newcastle frementation assistants unite.... :lol:

Fishard, you are indeed on the slippery slope - enjoy the ride!

IMO the two most important things that give you better beer are quality, healthy yeast in large amounts, and temperature control. Get those two right and you can experiment til your heart's content and you will always produce good beer. When you start to get into grains, you'll produce outstanding beer.

Cheers - Snow.

Back