Getting Beer Out!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeyguts

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Do to the current circumstances, I can see a time when I will no longer be able to get gas for my kegs. At the moment I have 7 gassed kegs in my fridge. My question is, how am I able to get the beer out when I eventually run out of gas? I have heard of the bike pump method, but this turns your beer off quite quickly. Quicker than I can drink it unfortunately. Is there another way?
Cheers,
Monkeyguts

Hello everyone,
Do to the current circumstances, I can see a time when I will no longer be able to get gas for my kegs. At the moment I have 7 gassed kegs in my fridge. My question is, how am I able to get the beer out when I eventually run out of gas? I have heard of the bike pump method, but this turns your beer off quite quickly. Quicker than I can drink it unfortunately. Is there another way?
Cheers,
Monkeyguts
Saw a novel idea yesterday using a small compressor, worked a treat.

Would have thought that woud work he same as the bike pump? Not ideal for a keg that wont be drunk quickly?

Have you ever heard of something called a "bottle"?

Apparently they can work without a co2 cylinder.

Compressed air, from a compressor, a bike pump, whatever will still be pumping Oxygen into your beer which will oxidise the beer and you can taste the difference in 24 hours.
There is the possibility of pumping in bacteria to, probably wont matter too much as it will be oxidised before it gets too rampantly infected.
Mark

I really would like to say more about it, but I can't. This goes way beyond thinking outside the square, like all good ideas, it is so frigging simple. The person who has applied for the patent occasionally posts on here so maybe he will tell all when he is ready.

Hello everyone,
Cheers,
Monkeyguts

If all 7 kegs are already carb'd then go refill your cylinder now or buy another cylinder. Always good to have a back up anyway. Could also get a soda stream adapter and use that if needed since a lot of petrol stations have them.

Bottling may be your best and easiest option.

Figure out how long your CO2 will last then bottle the rest. Yeah, you'll have to buy some bottles and caps and a capper but they will last. Will be a big job but it will see you through.

MO

Back