Getting Back Into Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrakey

Reaction score
Okay - the last time I used my gas and cornelius keg's was about 5 years.
I've pulled it all out of my shed...

I've got a regulator (with one smashed dial - crap!)
What feels like 3/4 of a large C02 cylinder (can you get a partial topup from the gas guys?)
2 Cornelius kegs with lids, a 3rd Cornelius keg with no lid...
No hoses :(

I'm trying to set up a kegging setup for taking to a 'medieval camping festival'... So the outcome is a nice keg setup that looks medieval rather than modern.

So I'm trying is trick up a large barrel mounted on a tabletop, with a nice embroidered tablecloth (Girlfriends offered to do this, with a grape leaf motif). Underneath is a large tub of ice containing the Keg and the gas, hoses running into the barrel. Tap mounted on the end of the barrel. I can coil several meters of hose inside the barrel for a decent pour. So it's got to be semi-portable (fit in trailer, carryable by 2 hunky chaps) and running on ice rather than electricity.

Kegging Gear
I need to Get:

1 x Cornelius Keg Lid
3 x Cornelius Seal Set
Gas charge up...
One pressure gauge for the regulator (if I cant get it, Micromatic CO2 Regulator)
Beer/Gas Line 1x2M, 1x5M - will that be enough
A couple of Quick Disconnects - (one gas, one beer) and 2x5mm Stepless Clamps.

Gold Plated Micromatic Tap (if there is a fridge kit for it)
Or perhaps I might Splurge and get a Celli Gold Plated Tap...
Wooden Tap Handle for the Tap - where do I find one that doesn't look too modern?

Surrounds:

1 Full Barrel - or perhaps a half, with back covered by a cloth cover - Gaganis Bros (in Adl) have em cheap.
Sandpaper - sanding back the barrel
Wood Stain - for a nice finish to the Barrel
Black Paint - for the staves, and perhaps a nice 'name motif' on the end...
Large vertical 'bin' for keg full of ice (already have)
Table (already have)
Embroidered Tablecloth (being made)
Something to keep the barrel stable on the table.

So what else am am I going to need? I'm not sure of the other bits I'm gonna need... Like inter connectors.
I'll take pictures as I go with this project too and post them up...

1st you need beer
then you need wenches and a friar OUT FIT

6719260505_aa92d91ae9_z.jpg

without this the beer will taste BAD...

I have dibs on the left one!!

Thank you, see you when I finish :icon_chickcheers:

1st you need beer
then you need wenches and a friar OUT FIT

6719260505_aa92d91ae9_z.jpg

without this the beer will taste BAD...

Pftttt... Looks like someone forgot to 'take out the trash' at the Abbey Weekend in Brisbane...

Can do the tap handle. What wood were you after

I've been working on a full-size wine barrel with enough room for 3 kegs inside and ice... rather than the jockey box approach...

Will see if I finally get it done for festival... or maybe I'll just go with a small dispensing barrel and hide the kegs under a table ;)

Large vertical 'bin' for keg full of ice (already have)

You'll want to use something to tie down the keg. As it empties and the ice melts it will try to float up. small bungie cord would work.

You'll want to try and insulate the bin as much as possible. Wrap it with a thin foam camping mat perhaps?

heres some of the ones ive currently got
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=672354
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=857222
all except the black heart sasafras, the little ones and the pair i made for someone else are for sale.
i can also do custom ones.

Hey Barls,

How tall are those little ones you made up? I have a two tap fridge and would love to get something small and timber made up for them, but have a height restriction due to the freezer at the top. Im not sure how much clearance I have as I'm not at home at the moment, but depending upon height, I may very well be interested... I'm thinking I have maybe an extra inch clearance on top of the standard black tap handle height that's already on the taps.

Sponge

Back