Getting A Nice Tight White Compact Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean said:
Dunkel_Boy said:
Sean said:
...a square is a type of rectangle.
[post="66522"][/post]​

Riiggghhttt........ "a square is a type of rectangle"............
[post="66523"][/post]​
A rectangle is a four sided polygon with opposite sides equal and all corners are right-angles.

Any square fits that definition, and therefore any square is a rectangle.
[post="66525"][/post]​

Dammit man, I was being facetious!
I prefer to consider a square an 'equilateral quadrilateral'; it has a certain ring to it!

Dunkel_Boy said:
Dammit man, I was being facetious!
Sorry - it's not always easy to tell from text.

I prefer to consider a square an 'equilateral quadrilateral'; it has a certain ring to it!
Hmm. A regular quadrilateral would be more precise. Any rhombus would, I think, be an equilateral quadrilateral.

Andrew said:
Oh, for f#*ks sake lads...
[post="66537"][/post]​
Looks like the head thing will have to be looked at in more detail, it is just so annoying to have a head made of big bubbles that all pop down to nothing in less than a few minutes, no lacing on the glass and no white upper lip. :angry:
I want to do an english style bitter soon so that is one I really want a head on.
Anyone got a good K+K reciepe for an ESB?

Brizbrew said:
Andrew said:
Oh, for f#*ks sake lads...
[post="66537"][/post]​
Looks like the head thing will have to be looked at in more detail, it is just so annoying to have a head made of big bubbles that all pop down to nothing in less than a few minutes, no lacing on the glass and no white upper lip. :angry:
I want to do an english style bitter soon so that is one I really want a head on.
[post="66542"][/post]​
You could clone a nice S.E. beer that shouldn't have a head. Adnams Southwold or Ridleys IPA perhaps.

Dunkel_Boy said:
Sean said:
...a square is a type of rectangle.
[post="66522"][/post]​

Riiggghhttt........ "a square is a type of rectangle"............
[post="66523"][/post]​

Bait set !

Sean said:
Any square fits that definition, and therefore any square is a rectangle.
[post="66525"][/post]​

GOT ONE !!

Just wait till a couple of years later when they are taught that a circle is a type of ellipse!

Speaking of ESB's, I just did one. Its a bit strong for the style (1.062 OG), and I deliberately underprimed, so its not big on the head, but does manage to leave a decent lacing.

It's an all grain brew, and if anyone wants the recipie, just let me know.

barfridge said:
Just wait till a couple of years later when they are taught that a circle is a type of ellipse!

Speaking of ESB's, I just did one. Its a bit strong for the style (1.062 OG), and I deliberately underprimed, so its not big on the head, but does manage to leave a decent lacing.

It's an all grain brew, and if anyone wants the recipie, just let me know.
[post="66581"][/post]​

If it's a K + K, Brizbrews would love it I'm sure.

barfridge said:

[post="66581"][/post]​
Since some of them make University teacher training courses (Primary) without being able to identify a triangle when it's point down :( , ellipses are the least of their worries.

(This is Victoria - I gather the other states are still half decent at teaching geometry.)

Sean said:
barfridge said:

[post="66581"][/post]​
Since some of them make University teacher training courses (Primary) without being able to identify a triangle when it's point down :( , ellipses are the least of their worries.

(This is Victoria - I gather the other states are still half decent at teaching geometry.)
[post="66584"][/post]​

Actually Sean, I forgot to mention, doesn't equilateral mean equal sides AND angles? In that case, an equilateral quadrilateral would sufficiently describe a square, yes?

(man I love useless posts like this :D)

"Big Head"

The instructions say add 48 hrs before bottling, but I add it to secondary when racking 2-3 weeks before bottling.

It's apparently made from powdered seaweed - probably agar, which is like the Japanese equivalent of gelatine. A packet should last about 10 or more brews.

Hi Briz, Here is a recipe that I did a couple of months back for an Extra Special Bitter. It turned out quite good, nice head, good lacing on glass all the way down.

1.2kg Marris Otter
300g Dark Crystal
200g CaraPils

Grains mashed in 7 ltr Water @ 68deg 60min
Batch Sparge 14ltr Water @ 75deg

2.2kg Light Extract
500g Amber Extract

30g Northern Brewer Hops 8.0%AA boiled 60min.
14g Goldings 5.0%AA boiled 15min.
14g Goldings 5.0%AA at flame out
Safale S-04 Yeast
Final Volume 20ltr
OG 1.057
FG 1.009

1 week Primary @ 20deg C, 2 weeks 2ndary @ 18degC, 4days CC @ 2degC.
Brought it back up to 20degC to bottle.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Cheers
BradT

Dunkel_Boy said:
Sean said:
barfridge said:

[post="66581"][/post]​

[post="66584"][/post]​

Actually Sean, I forgot to mention, doesn't equilateral mean equal sides AND angles? In that case, an equilateral quadrilateral would sufficiently describe a square, yes?

(man I love useless posts like this :D)
[post="66586"][/post]​
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe equilateral just means equal sides. Certainly that agrees with my ordinary dictionaries and the roots of the word - my Mathematics dictionaries are at school. In the case of a triangle (only), that necessarly implies equal angles.

If it did mean equal sides and angles, then yes (for any polygon) equilateral would be equivalent to regular.

Thanks for your replys, I am sure most of them are useful, not sure how this thread got hijacked though. :blink:

Back