Getting 60l Out Of A 50l Braumeister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damien13

Reaction score
Just after some tips from some experienced Brau Brewers on how to wring 60L of wort out of a 50L meister...

Possible?

Wort boil overs??

Fountains???

Too Much Grain??

Just hoping for some guidance....

Cheers dudes!

Easy if you go for a low alcohol beer, say 3% to 4%. Just dilute down pre boil.

Just after some tips from some experienced Brau Brewers on how to wring 60L of wort out of a 50L meister...

Possible?

Wort boil overs??

Fountains???

Too Much Grain??

Just hoping for some guidance....

Cheers dudes!

You'll have to brew overgravity and water down in the fermenter I'd reckon. Otherwise drain some and batch sparge.

Answer in the big beers thread where you also asked this question.

Answer in the big beers thread where you also asked this question.

hmmm not so sure about that.... I read through it, and it seems skewed toward big beers.. That isn't the question I am asking which is why I started a new thread.
The question I am asking is for standard beers, not 'big beers'.

hmmm not so sure about that.... I read through it, and it seems skewed toward big beers.. That isn't the question I am asking which is why I started a new thread.

Malted has actually answered your question in that thread after you posted, so check again.

EDIT: Linky

It all depends on how much wort you can normally get out and what OG you want.

Quite simple really. Just brew slightly overgravity... so for example, if you can get 55L out of your braumeister and you want 60L of 1.048, then 48 * 60 / 55 = 52.4, so just brew 55L of 1.0524 and add 5L in the fermenter. Voila.

So, wanted_gravity * wanted_litres / achievable_litres = needed_gravity

For the purposes of these gravity point values, you drop the 1.0 part of the SG, 1.048 = 48, or, (1-OG)*1000) = gravity points

And then just dilute to desired gravity.

Good thing is if you miss your efficiency target, you can just add less water.

You seem somewhat confused. Of course that thread was skewed towards big beers, that is why it was called "Big Beers For The Braumeister". If you did not want to know about big beers, why ask a question in a big beers thread? Just sayin is all.

I think you have some fine answers already, particulalry Stux's answer in this thread.

So to cover your questions in more detail (though they are mostly unfounded concerns if you plan to dilute a medium gravity brew):

Possible? Entirely, if it is a medium gravity brew that is to be diluted, piece of cake. See Stux's answer with formulas for calculations.
Wort boil overs?? Nothing to be concerned about if a medium gravity brew. Running at 101 degrees might increase the 'chance' but leaving it at the std 100 (at sea level locations) should be ok. I have started my boil with >65L to no ill effect. The main vessell total volume is about 80L. If you are concerned, keep a water spray bottle handy to knock the foam down. Boil overs seem to occur mostly toward the beginning of the boil before the hot break has had a chance to fully form/coagulate so if they did occur, you probably wouldn't have to guard against them the whole boil.
Fountains??? Never had one. IIRC MHB suggests that the pump break usually takes care of them but you can loosen off the wingnut to allow some bottom leakage until it is sorted then do up again.
Too Much Grain?? There is only so much you can fit in there. I squeezed in >13kg on one occassion (reckon I could have gone a kilo or two more as well) and it was all smooth sailing. It would depend upon the type of grain/grist too; a high proportion of rye could lead to a solid or caked mash grist in which the pumps may struggle to force fluid through. Likewise with a high proportion of flour in the grist. IMO I think wheat has heavier grains, so 1kg of wheat would take up less space than 1 kg of malted barley, therefore how many kg's can I fit in, is a question that may not have a clear answer.
Just hoping for some guidance.... Go forth and make beer. :kooi:
Cheers dudes!

Out of interest, why 60L? Are you trying to fill three corny kegs from one batch?

Out of interest, why 60L? Are you trying to fill three corny kegs from one batch?

That's what I do ;)

60L = 57L into the kegs, which means 3 nice full kegs, and is also about the maximum I can squeeze into a 60L fermenter

Make 50L of 1.060, hop it to a 60L final volume, and dilute to ~1.048 with boiling water in cubes.

So each cube will get 16.6L of 1.060 in it, and 3.4L of boiling water - resulting in 20L of 1.048.

Hop utilisation between 1.050 and 1.060 in the boil is not that different (less than the variance between actual AA% and what's printed on the packet).

All you really have to do is develop a 60L recipe and make it with your usual 50L batch size parameters.

Excellent!

The last two posts by Malted and Stux perfectly answered my questions...

Thanks guys....

And I agree with you Stux.. Seeing as we all tend to work in 19 L increments, I am surprised more people aren't inclined to head toward 60L batches as opposed to 50L. I hope it is ok if I pick your brain every now and then.... ;)

Apologies that I didn't put my question in the correct thread (so I created another one).

Oh, and thanks to you too Malted.

I guess what I was after was exactly what you answered in your post above. First hand experience with stuffing the Meister and what happens.

That's what is great about this forum, hearing from others who have gone before you in order to minimise how messy ones brew day becomes!
oh, and of course I love the passive aggressive answers to questions.... love it... hehe keeps the noobs honest...

;)

Excellent!

The last two posts by Malted and Stux perfectly answered my questions...

Thanks guys....

And I agree with you Stux.. Seeing as we all tend to work in 19 L increments, I am surprised more people aren\'t inclined to head toward 60L batches as opposed to 50L. I hope it is ok if I pick your brain every now and then.... ;)

Apologies that I didn\'t put my question in the correct thread (so I created another one).

Cept I don\'t actually have a braumeister... I do Big BIAB ;)

(but I aspire to building a BM out of a 100L pot)

Anyway, If you are going to put 60L into a 60L fermenter, please make sure you use a blow-off tube and a largish bottle

And it really helps to put a squirt of fermcap into the fermenter

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7485

You don\'t need the fermcap/blow-off if you\'re doing a lager :)

And this is why you need the blow-off bottle...
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=979719

Latest posts

Back