Get Ye Behind Me Satan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
went to dans yesterday to buy some "portable beer" and on exiting the checkout, i saw 2 x 6 packs of pilsner urquell with a clearance sticker of $11 each, i thought what a bargain and proceeded to place them in the trolley but then i thought back to christmas time when 4 out of 5 six packs of craft beer i had purchased were less than drinkable so i placed them back on the rack :angry: . i still can't believe they would be clearing this beer out , couldn't find aa bb date so left it alone. maybe they are starting to take notice and clearing their old stock?

went to dans yesterday to buy some "portable beer" and on exiting the checkout, i saw 2 x 6 packs of pilsner urquell with a clearance sticker of $11 each, i thought what a bargain and proceeded to place them in the trolley but then i thought back to christmas time when 4 out of 5 six packs of craft beer i had purchased were less than drinkable so i placed them back on the rack :angry: . i still can't believe they would be clearing this beer out , couldn't find aa bb date so left it alone. maybe they are starting to take notice and clearing their old stock?

Pilsner Urquell isn't a craft beer. It's $39 a box. Bout the same price as megaswill.

The best before is on the green strip on the back label.

Pilsner Urquell isn't a craft beer. It's $39 a box. Bout the same price as megaswill.

The best before is on the green strip on the back label.
first time i've seen it but so many people rave about it on this forum.
i assumed it must of been in the 20 bucks a six pack category, so it's not much better than ottenger then?

milob40.......... One of the best pilsners in the world IMHO, buy a six pack & make your own opinion. We all have different tastes/preferences.

Cheers Ross

One of the best pilsners in the world IMHO

+ a gazillion. I have one in my hand right now (how I knew where the best by date was). It's produced in a megafactory that knows how to bottle a beer - that was my point about it not being a stale "craftbeer" gusher that's $20 a sixer.

At $39 a box it's the best quality/price ratio in the bottle store by far.

That said - grab a Budvar or two - six of one and half a dozen of the other which one is king.

The diacetyl and melanoidins in PU is delicious and perfectly balanced by the bitterness. Perfectly bittersweet. A lot of people freak out though who are used to all the other Pilsners - the Boh Pils are in a class of their own.

Check out the BJCP Pilsner Styles. It's no Oetinger.

One of the best pilsners in the world

+ 1, grab a 6 pack

07022012469.jpg

Grab a carton. One of my go to beers of shout a carton at work or soccer.

first time i've seen it but so many people rave about it on this forum.
i assumed it must of been in the 20 bucks a six pack category, so it's not much better than ottenger then?

Also agree it's one of the best pilsners worldwide. Absoulutely lovely beer.

One of the rare occasions where the price tag has absolutely stuff all to do with the quality.

FWIW, i think that Oettinger at around the same price, is quite a decent beer too. Especially for the money. Not anywhere close to the same sport as the Urquell, but it's a better beer than most aussie megaswill, and priced lower too.

PU kicks ass.

Google "Budějovick Budvar". It's a pain in the ass to find a picture for you because there's a shitstorm of trademark crap with the brand as in the US it's Czechvar because of Budweiser but it's also "Budweiser Budvar" and **** knows. But google images is full of the "Budweiser" bottles.

It's red and white and says Budějovick Budvar on it here.

I reckon it's slightly better than Urquell - slightly tamer.

milob40.......... One of the best pilsners in the world IMHO, buy a six pack & make your own opinion. We all have different tastes/preferences.

Cheers Ross

I agree with you Ross, and my latest clone is very close. This thread made me pour one, not an easy beer to brew.

DSCF2556.JPG

if thats you balcony in the background, i'm jealous as hell

The deck yes, and not one neighbour to be seen. There are a few hidden in the hills like us.

Batz

Cheers Ross
+10million for what ross said,each for their own,if only our $45 mega swill was this good!!!
Such a tops beer but one of the hardest ones to get spot on!!!! :icon_chickcheers:

Look awesome batz. Any chance you got the recipe. I hope to brew a few pilsners when I got some stock of beer.

Look awesome batz. Any chance you got the recipe. I hope to brew a few pilsners when I got some stock of beer.

Are you able to you do a stepped mash?

Google "Budějovick Budvar". It's a pain in the ass to find a picture for you because there's a shitstorm of trademark crap with the brand as in the US it's Czechvar because of Budweiser but it's also "Budweiser Budvar" and **** knows. But google images is full of the "Budweiser" bottles.
Like this, less the Budweiser.
796275.jpg

It's red and white and says Budějovick Budvar on it here.

I reckon it's slightly better than Urquell - slightly tamer.

I got it on your request ( i think it was you nick or it could of been manctle) found it a lot nicer then the trumer too. FUckloads better then the JS and EFES. Rice has no place in a pilsner ( my opinon and i will stick to it).

The PU is still in the fridge. I am having roast pork tonight so i will drink it with my roast pork.

Back