Get Rid Of Smell/taste In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2

Reaction score
Hi all,

While back I put a ginger beer down, I ended up leaving it in the fermenter for quite some time. I just tried the first bottle of the first batch of beer put into the fermenter since I have cleaned it. The beer now has a ginger taste to it, that's fine considering it was just a spare kit and kilo I had lying a around.

Is there some way I can get rid of this taste/smell in the fermenter? Really want to get rid of it so I can put some real beers into there, at the moment Im not even going to attempt to put an AG in it and risk the ginger taste.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking there must be something I can soak the fermenter with just not sure what.

Cheers

Sodium Perc? What is that?

Edit..

Googles my friend.. Napisan huh?

Is there a specific Napisan to use? Like a non-smelling one (cant think of the term atm... brain dead)

Solar radiation is your friend. As is a strong bleach solution. Then more sunlight. Then a napisan soak. Aand a bit more suntanning. Repeat as required... HTH
Another option is have a dedicated ginger beer / cider fermenter.
Should probably add, give a bloody good rinse between above steps, some chemicals don't play well together ;)

Just use the noname brand.

TIP... Activate in a jug of some really hot water before pouring into the fermenter.

Cheers

growler

Just make sure the napisan is not fragranced - you will be able to tell (overpowering lemon). Usually the "sensitive" ones are fragrance free.

Or step up and buy some PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) from a site sponsor or home brew shop.

Coles brand Ultra Booster Sensitive napisan. $4 at Coles obviously.

Rinse with bleach then sun dry.

One cap with warm water. 2 days later rinse out 3 times with cold water. It'll smell like plastic again.

112049_napisan_oxyaction_max.jpg

One cap with warm water. 2 days later rinse out 3 times with cold water. It'll smell like plastic again.

112049_napisan_oxyaction_max.jpg
Dont use washing powder. Allbeit there is an element of sodium percarbonate it, like 12%, its all the other shite in it I dont want near any of my brew gear. Just buy some pure sodium percarbonate and use a fraction of what you would use with oxy action or similar.

Dont use washing powder. Allbeit there is an element of sodium percarbonate it, like 12%, its all the other shite in it I dont want near any of my brew gear. Just buy some pure sodium percarbonate and use a fraction of what you would use with oxy action or similar.

You're gonna have a hard time explaining this on here. Good luck.

Yeh the non scented napisan / sodium perc is cool. I personally avoid any chlorinated soakers these days, except for occasional use, maybe every now and then, so I use it but not regularly, rather sodium perc.
Bye the way, my fermenters are clean and sanitised but still exhibit some aromas from previous brews, thats plastic for you, and that is the reason I try not to use chlorine based cleaners, some of it stays in the plastic.

Fear_n_loath

Back