Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it coopers kit or coopers recultured?

1003 is still super low but coopers recultured in my experience is a beast and not far off what saison yeasts can do.

I haven't brewed since May 29th (toddler + commissioning an LNG plant + re-plumbing brewery) and I'm only a couple of weeks away from brewing.

Planning a brown ale...
No, a bock...
No, a wheat beer for summer...
Now a saison...

I hate brewing.

I only use raw sugar in my brews and have done since mid 2002, I don’t like the flavour dex adds to my beer. I have tried brew enhancers but I am not a fan of dex so I keep going back to the raw sugar. I normally only add 1kg and I remember thinking the the OG reading of 1060 was a bit odd so I took a second sample to confirm it. I had one 2kg bag of raw sugar from costco in the pantry which i normally use for ginger beer, and it’s no longer there so I must of grabbed the 2kg bag by mistake which would explain the higher OG. So this beer is not like my normal brews….

Droopy Brew said:
I would say both are wrong unless a shitload of dex or DME was also added to get 1.06. And then yes 1.003 is not achievable IMO without significant contribution from an undesirable microbe.

How does it taste nic0?

The beer is very clear, smooth and a bit thiner than normal, it lacks a bit of flavour. It smelts normal, yeast cake appeared the same as my other brews so I don’t think anything got to it. I sanitise everything with sodium percarbonate and sterilise with Oxonia Active.

I have racked the beer to free up my fermenter and will leave it for a week or two so if anything has got to it should show up before I keg it.

I will have another crack with a Coopers Draught can and a kilo of Aldi Raw sugar with the carb stone and air pump and see how it goes but I should probably add an air filter. Normally my beers take 2 sometimes 3 weeks to ferment out and clear up.

From what I have read if I run the pump with the carb stone for 20 mintues into wort at 20 degrees (which it what I have done) I should be able to achive approximatley 8ppm of dissolved oxygen in the wort. With an O2 system you should be able to achive the same or higher in a matter of seconds.

Adr_0 said:
I haven't brewed since May 29th (toddler + commissioning an LNG plant + re-plumbing brewery) and I'm only a couple of weeks away from brewing.

Planning a brown ale...
No, a bock...
No, a wheat beer for summer...
Now a saison...

I hate brewing.
Brew beer using LNG and have toddler as brewmaster assistant?

SBOB said:
so a K&K coopers APA tin, with coopers yeast, made to 21L and you have
SG - 1.060
FG - 1.003
Calculated ABV - 7.48%
Apparent Attenuation - 95%

I'm going to go out on a limb (and side with MHB) and say one of those gravity numbers is wrong
I double checked them, maybe my hydrometer is up the shit, i did buy it back in 2002.

manticle said:
Was it coopers kit or coopers recultured?

1003 is still super low but coopers recultured in my experience is a beast and not far off what saison yeasts can do.
It was just the cooper kit yeast but it had an INT at the end of the number which i haven't seen before. I know the coopers kit yeast has had a bad rap and even i went off it for a while but i think is has improved. The kit was recent (maybe that's why the yeast is good) as the local BigW now has a very high turn over of Coopers cans.

Anyway i don't what to hijack this thread so back to the O2.

I got my O2 stuff delivered from craftbrewer today so am all set to go.
First batch will be this weekend. Either a pilsener or smurto's TTLL clone. Can't wait.

My Bo Pils that I used the oxygen on for the first time finally got off its arse this morning and began showing visible signs of fermentation. This is not unusual in my experience with Wy2001 yeast though. The real interest for me is how long the fermentation itself actually takes and how the beer tastes compared to previous batches with no oxygenation other than the transfer from the cube. I'll grab a sample on Friday and see where it's at.

Used my magic oxy wand for the first time today on a Stout AG wort. S.G 1053 and expected F.G of 1012. Very keen to see/taste the final results.
I haven't got a standard brew I can compare without the oxy for a side by side on yet.

OMG Mr B!! What is that thing?

Well darling, its really a money, time, and back saving device. Its quite revolutionary really, I've spent an awful lot of time researching it whilst you have been watching those rubbish shows on television.

Really? It look kind of.......industrial.......

Well, yes it does, but its not about the look at all.....nope..... definitely not about that...sitting in my brew shed........looking all lovely......

Brew shed?

Yes, the brew shed

So its 'beer stuff' is it?

Yeeees, its beer stuff...

How much was it!?

Well, its not really about the cost, its about making better beer....

Better beer?

Yes, now I know that its absolutely almost positively awesome, but a few little tweaks......

How much was it!

Apart from the deposit, it was really qui......

OMG Mr B!! ITS PRETTY FARKIN AWESOME YOU FNIALLY GOT THERE!!!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479459751.454226.jpg

Just used it, absolute gold. Shaking cubes is a thing of the past. Better oxygen levels should be great, looking forward to seeing how it goes. At the least, it will help with hangovers....

Rocker1986 said:
My Bo Pils that I used the oxygen on for the first time finally got off its arse this morning and began showing visible signs of fermentation. This is not unusual in my experience with Wy2001 yeast though. The real interest for me is how long the fermentation itself actually takes and how the beer tastes compared to previous batches with no oxygenation other than the transfer from the cube. I'll grab a sample on Friday and see where it's at.
Will be interested to hear your fermentation timings. I don't have O2 yet but tried out the carb stone for the first time in a Pils. Pitched 4 days ago now and it has dropped from 1061 to 1018. Am a bit worried it could be a bit slow and I end up with diacetyl again. Hope to have O2 up and running for my next brew though.

Just had a read through Braukeiser on lagers and am feeling reassured all is on track. In other news I might get to the big green shed today to grab my core gas O2. Don't think I will get the chance to brew again until next weekend though.

OT but if you do end up with diacetyl or other vdk, I've found krausening effective at removal in the past.

manticle said:
OT but if you do end up with diacetyl or other vdk, I've found krausening effective at removal in the past.
Is there nothing fresh, healthy yeast can't do?

My Bo Pils is fermenting at about the same rate as they did in batches without an O2 injection. Maybe next time I'll bubble it into it for longer. Only went for about a minute this time I think. The sample I took yesterday to check progress smelt bloody nice though.

Anyone interested in this, I once had it installed after my chiller. Wort travels over the air-stone then into your fermenter.
All stainless but has been stored several years so will need a wire brush up.
The air-stone is .05 so best with 02 set-up, aquarium pump may struggle.

Make me an offer via PM.

Batz

DSCF7364.JPG

DSCF7365.JPG

Rocker1986 said:
My Bo Pils is fermenting at about the same rate as they did in batches without an O2 injection. Maybe next time I'll bubble it into it for longer. Only went for about a minute this time I think. The sample I took yesterday to check progress smelt bloody nice though.
I've found 1 min 20 secs for ales at 19 pitch, and 2.5 ltrs a minute, then my lagers at 2 mins at 9 degree pitch. All fermented out maybe only couple of days quicker, but all have been 2-3 points lower and quality so much better, especially my helles I just did. It's turned awesome out of my kegmenter and through the filter. I've just crushed another 9 kg of grain tonight to double batch my grainfather tommoz to pitch onto my yeast cake which is still sitting under pressure in my kegmenter from late last week. Chill cubes to 8 , dump into kegmenter, O2 , another 45 ltrs of helles on the way.

Doesn't getting better than this, especially after smashing a few tonight.

I'll give that a go next batch then, cheers mate. I couldn't get the cube down as low as I wanted it either, only got it to 20C, which isn't a disaster but I wanted it around 10C; maybe next time I'll throw it in the fridge the night before instead. This time of year they obviously don't chill down as low in the ambient as they do in the cooler months.

Helles can be delicious, tasted Les (the wheaty ones) Helles at the club last Friday, bloody good, dangerously so if you are driving.
Sounds like a fair investment on your O2 system, at 9oC you finished faster, got better attenuation and the beer tastes better.
Be interesting to see how it responds to the bigger yeast cake/pitch.
Mark

Back