Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldspace

Reaction score
I've been brewing for 25 years, all grain for 3 years, temp control last 2 years, yeast starters last year

Now lots turned out great, but O2 injection has made a really nice leap in quality, so thanks to thus forum for steering a path to heaven.

Just polished off some nice Irish red last month first 02 beers, great diff, just had a session sarvo /tonight with a dry hopped 150 lashes and then moved onto my own IPA receipe, both with 02 injection and nice starters and temp, and wow, what a nice crisp improvement , hop/ malt flavours shine through a lot better.

Worth every $1 worth of 02 lol, or cheaper if you get the bigger bottles.

Not just on all grain but kits as well...

Got a couple of novice mates I've set up with basic keezers, and temp fridges using Morgans and coopers kits. With my help they have been churning out acceptable batches.

Last batches they have done, both with 3 fermenters each , I went around with the O2 and they mixed up, O2 the wort, pitched just packet us05 , 1.5 pkts each batch.

3 weeks ago, this week both guys have phoned me up creaming their pants saying it's the best beers they have kegged ever. Well good for them.

They recon the beers are nicer at 3 days into the keg after 1 week cc, than when they used to leave the keg for a few weeks, so we are all on our way to better beers....

Just got my stainless fermenters and a kegmenter thanks to Dancraftbeers imputs, chilling down some cubes of munich helles with lots of 2206 yeast, ready for an O2 injected 10 degree ferment pitch tommoz arvo into my kegmenter pressure vessel for Christmas guzzlers... Yummo

I've told my 2 brewing mates that I've cracked open a few kegs this week of 02 all grain beers, guess who are racing around here tommoz for Friday arvo schooners lol....

Mid week session of nice IPA, was getting hammerd earlier, now soooo excited for my mini kegs and Batz arndale font that I've addrenalin has sobered me up.

Time for a quick RIS, then bed...to dream on

Love this hobby, wife hates it lol..... Better buy that bracelet...

It's interesting that you describe the O2 beers as more crisp with the malt & hop flavours really shining through.
I'm experiencing the exact same thing as you. The O2 beers are without a doubt, a step up in quality, no question.
The ferment is very healthy & solid & it finishes earlier than a wort without O2 injection. One of the best investments I've made this year.

Interesting, I am just about to cold crash my first beer made with O2.

I've been pondering this lately. You may have just convinced me. (gets out wallet, muttering....)

OK you have piqued my interest. Where did you get the 02 set up? How much did it cost?

My first been aerated with O2 is currently fermenting. Fermentation kicked off within a few hours of pitching the yeast and it's going great guns at the moment. Had a taste the other day and it does taste really good. My only concern is over-O2ing, although it doesn't seem to have affected it. When you run your O2 through your wort, how vigorous does it run? Mine ended up a bit bubbly. I think I had the regulator set a bit too high.

big78sam said:
OK you have piqued my interest. Where did you get the 02 set up? How much did it cost?
I'm not sure what coldspace uses but I ended up with the CoreGas oxygen cylinder from Bunnings ( $200 refundable deposit, $69.00 for the Oxygen ) + a Cigweld oxygen regulator from Bunnings. I grabbed an Oxywand from CraftBrewer with a 0.5 micron airstone.

welly2 said:
My first been aerated with O2 is currently fermenting. Fermentation kicked off within a few hours of pitching the yeast and it's going great guns at the moment. Had a taste the other day and it does taste really good. My only concern is over-O2ing, although it doesn't seem to have affected it. When you run your O2 through your wort, how vigorous does it run? Mine ended up a bit bubbly. I think I had the regulator set a bit too high.
To be honest, I was expecting far less lag time with O2 than not but kick off time is very similar. What I have noticed though is the ferment seems more solid. It's definitely more healthy with a faster finish. I still use an airlock & before O2, the ferment would be ticking along with a bloop every 5-6sec or so. The ferment with the O2 seems to bloop every 3-4sec so it appears that the yeast have got their dancing shoes on. I'm running at 5psi for about 90sec & found this to be pretty good. It does foam up so if you have a full fermenter, the foam will want to climb out.

Does oxygen addition theoretically help when using the correct amount of dry yeast? I think I read somewhere that dry yeasts already have all the oxygen they need. Or am I mistaken?

pcqypcqy said:
I've been pondering this lately. You may have just convinced me. (gets out wallet, muttering....)
Lol same here. Just purchased a kit from brewman after reading this thread. I keep saying to the Mrs after this I think I'm sorted then inevitably something else comes up that I simply must buy.

It has been in the back of my brain for a while now...

What are average costs for an O2 rig? Best places to buy cylinders (I'm in Adelaide)? I did see the Bunnings note, suspect they'd be among the cheapest...

Edit: bloody hell just read that the $200 is a refundable deposit, that seems like a bargain...

Follow up Q then how long's a $69er last (of O2 you sick bastards)

Coodgee said:
Does oxygen addition theoretically help when using the correct amount of dry yeast? I think I read somewhere that dry yeasts already have all the oxygen they need. Or am I mistaken?
I think to a point, they do, but certain beers and certain conditions will put more stress on the yeast, and potentially provide a less clean ferment.

You wouldn't want to try a big beer without some O2 I think, or if you did you'd probably have to give it a lot longer than you would if you used O2. I'd say it also lets you get away with less yeast, for example I usually use 2 packs of dry yeast in a 6 gallon batch to get a really good ferment started quickly, whereas you could probably achieve the same with 1 pack and a good shot of o2.

At least this is my limited understanding.

Coodgee said:
Dry yeast packs are purged of oxygen, the yeast grown contains the sterols that yeast need to multiply, oxygen allows production of these sterols.

From my understanding dry yeast can drop close to 20%of it viability if it's not hydrated first. So the o2 would be even more help to see a healthy grown.

So what devices you guys using for your o2 infusion? Got pics?

damoninja said:
It has been in the back of my brain for a while now...

What are average costs for an O2 rig? Best places to buy cylinders (I'm in Adelaide)? I did see the Bunnings note, suspect they'd be among the cheapest...

Edit: bloody hell just read that the $200 is a refundable deposit, that seems like a bargain...

Follow up Q then how long's a $69er last (of O2 you sick bastards)
It's a bit of an outlay but fully refundable when you return the cylinder.
In terms of length of life, I'm not sure. If you were adding 2L/min for 60sec, you would get over 50 brews from one of those Trade Flame disposable oxygen cylinders from Bunnings, they hold 930ml of oxygen or around 110L. The CoreGas cylinder is a D size, so I don't think I'll be swapping over an empty cylinder for quite some time.

My setup was a 'budget' O2 reg and stone from Grain and Grape, I think was $70 or $80, then a disposable O2 tank from Masters for $25.

2much2spend said:
From my understanding dry yeast can drop close to 20%of it viability if it's not hydrated first. So the o2 would be even more help to see a healthy grown.

So what devices you guys using for your o2 infusion? Got pics?
Oxywand from CraftBrewer.
CoreGas deal from bunnings
Cigweld oxygen regulator from Bunnings

20160902_170927.jpg

20160902_171105.jpg

Back