German Rye Beer Advice Wanter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience with German Rye beer (Roggenbier)

I have some bairds pale rye malt on the way and some WLP300 in a starter and was wondering if anyone has made a good one before.

Any advice is welcome

cheers

no but it's on my to do list. i'm a bit scared of a stuck sparge, perhaps some step mashing or decocting might help?

have you got "Beer Captured"? there's a nice looking recipe in there for Thurn und Taxis Roggen.

I've never had one!

But the recipes I see are essentially Weissbier grists and instead of malted wheat use the rye.

I'm not sure of the diastatic power of rye malt though, if it is low then malts such as Munich might have difficulty in giving you thorough conversion.

I'd be tempted to use 50% Rye malt, 40% Pils malt and 10% Melanoidin and a semi load of rice hulls (10% of grist weight as added hulls, 10kg batch add 1kg hulls).

This might your opportunity to use the famous 40-50-60-70 mash regime (acid-protein-beta-alpha rests).

All are valuable rests when using rye and will help in giving you efficient
conversion and good lautering.

Got 3 arms and 2 brains for this brewday :) ?!?!?

Have fun,

tdh

According to Michael Jackson Thurn und Taxis use 60% Rye Malt. By all accounts it is based on a dark wheat beer. May need to incorporate a pinch of roast.

Pic should help you get an idea of the colour.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
According to Michael Jackson Thurn und Taxis use 60% Rye Malt. By all accounts it is based on a dark wheat beer. May need to incorporate a pinch of roast.

Pic should help you get an idea of the colour.

Warren -
[post="79456"][/post]​

according to the szamatulskis (who you can't always trust!) in order to get the sparge working with that high a rye %age, T&T were forced to use a pressurised lauter tun and a very shallow bed... might be worth chucking in some hulls for this one.

only roggen i've had was paulaner and that was like a dunkelweizen too - slightly darker than the one above from memory - sort of hazy brown. it was lecker!

thanks flokes...

will have to invest in some rice hulls i think

cheers all

Back