German grain mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

res

Reaction score
In my search for mills I thought it was odd there weren't any German ones, what with the Germans being fiercely proud beer makers and known for good engineering.
After much searching I found this interesting design. It has rollers 2.75 inches in diameter but only 2 inches wide. Been reading about the benefits of large diameter rollers for husk integrity, looks interesting.
Despite the small width they say it will do 3 kg a minute.
It's hard to find useful English sites with information, this one translates ok...

http://hopsnmalt.com/?product=mattmill-malt-mill-compact-comfort

What do you reckon?

Dam if only. The rouble is $82 the rand is $396

MitchD said:
Looks good but what currency is that? Rubles?
I think that site is in south African rand or something! ??

It's on the Germans sites for about $230 australian. No idea if they will ship here however.

You can find it by searching matt mill compact.
Should email them to see if they ship here.
The u.s vs au dollar is a pain atm.

Feldon said:
The maker's homepage seems to be here: http://www.mattmill.de/willkommen.html (in German)
Yeah cheers I found that one, there is a more useful one from one of there retailers but I can't find it on my phone just now.
Looks like ss rollers, maybe geared?
If they reply to my email I'll see about an English spec sheet.

I went with a monster in the end.
Last time I checked there was a distributor setting up shop here but I don't have a site.

Cheers! This is the Australian distributor for anyone interested. I'll be in the market for a new mill before too long, but I'm not sure I'll be ready to spend this much. Looks like a hell of a mill though! 6kg total weight!

Here's the manufacturer website again for anyone who wants it. Run it through Google translate, it's not too bad.

EDIT: FWIW it gets good reviews on the German homebrew forums. Seems a few small professional breweries use it, and the guys at Weihenstephaner were impressed with it compared to other homebrew mills.

Here is the German distributors website which has all the details in English (copy & pasted below). http://www.hobbybrau...attMill-Kompakt (website in english so have a look, but they only deliver within Germany or Austria. They do have distributors in other parts of the world like Braufox in Aus)
Their description of the Matt Mill is;
  • handy and inexpensive, proven MattMill quality
  • hardened and sharpness (fräsgerändelte) compact rolls
  • Ø70mm, 50mm long
  • unique in the world: "spelzenschonende" texture
  • hand made in Germany with German quality components exclusively
  • permanently reliable collection without synchronization
  • infinitely adjustable 0 to approx. 2 mm by eccentrics
  • massive, closed casing made of aluminum and stainless steel: safe, no experiments, no dust
  • durable and maintenance-free
  • diverse, easy montage options e. g. clamped on a table edge
  • many opportunities for individual hopper, large-volume hopper can be reordered
  • Service of the machine "Bauermeister" within a few days with shipping service
  • Drive also available with optional crank or as standard 6 mm hexagonal bit
  • Versatile and inexpensive hopper options: from the PET beverage bottle to large volume funnel.

Power: up to 3 kg best grist per minute, with crank about 1-2kg/min (depending on fitness) (approx. 11gr./revolutions)
Their description of their mill rollers being "spelzenschonende" texture translates to "gently de-husking" texture. "fräsgerändelte" roughly translates to "saw toothed surface" (literal translation "mill-cut edged or milled edge"). They are refering to the cog-like teeth on the rollers (I'm thinking they are similar to the fluted mashmaster mills, but smaller/finer) click on picture below to see cog-like-teeth of the mill rollers.

Questions:
  1. Does anyone have a Matt Mill and are able to share their experience? (milling issues, issues with parts or service, grain crush, lauter performance of crush etc)
  2. Mardoo, do you have a link to the German forums that you've referred to. I can't find much in the way of experience with using them in the english sphere.

Matt mill rollers.jpg

Meanwhile, this mill comes in different versions (generations). It's constructed and produced by home brewer and construction engineer Matthias Hoßfeld

He has chosen hobbybrauerversand.de as his only seller.

Many germany brewing mates have one of his mills and I never ever heard anything negative about these heavy duty mills.

Best

Alex

Yep, the one referenced in this thread is the MattMill Kompakt.

In terms of the German forums I looked at, I found all of them through doing searches on the terms Google Translate couldn't translate, which it turns out were mostly MattMill related. I won't have time for a few days to track them down again, but will endeavour to do so sometime this week. All of my reading was done through Google Translate. Should have stuck with German, but the girls in the French class were much cuter to me at the time ;)

Cheers mardoo. I was too lazy to search through a million google results, but thought you may follow those forums. I too am away most of the week so will check up google on my return.

Ok, I'm back and have scoured Google for the German forums/threads discussing the Matt Mill Kompact.

If you can read German, this is a good thread from the Matt Mill Kompact birth (2012) on with a few teething issues identified on the way to which the manufacturer made improvements (Manufacturer answers questions on the thread)
http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name=eBoard&file=viewthread&fid=5&tid=15084&page=4&orderdate=ASC

This thread compares the Matt Mill Kompact with the newer (circa 2014) Matt Mill Kompact Komfort (again in German, but there are pics of it in action). Essentially the difference is in an upgraded outer casing that looks prettier, but not better at milling as the internals are the same. They do a test of the Komfort with three different drills, testing which could get through the fastest (don't know why they thought it would be a good idea to shred the grains as the test, but that's what they did). It continues with a discussion about using too high revolutions causing husk shredding and flour problems. The maker comments that the max revolutions should be no more than 300rpm for the Kompact mills.
http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name=eBoard&file=viewthread&tid=23016

And here is a You-Tube video of it working away (and by the looks of it not in over speed like the above test) and the grist looks good to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I found out the real difference between the Kompakt and the Kompakt Komfort. http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name=eBoard&file=viewthread&tid=22774 I was wondering why when the difference in price was 23 Euros the only difference described was in the name.

Essentially the Komfort had proper bearings added to assist in reducing the roll resistance of the mill rollers (especially for the passive roller). Apparently with less roll resistance it reduces potential tearing of the husks when milling.

So I bit the bullet and ordered a Matt Mill Kompakt Komfort (with proper bearings). I am having it sent to an address in Germany and will pick it up when I am there for Christmas. By buying it in Germany I have saved $100 on the Australian distributors price for the lower model (basic Kompakt model without bearings). I will share the results when I bring it back in January.

Jack of all biers said:
So I bit the bullet and ordered a Matt Mill Kompakt Komfort (with proper bearings). I am having it sent to an address in Germany and will pick it up when I am there for Christmas. By buying it in Germany I have saved $100 on the Australian distributors price for the lower model (basic Kompakt model without bearings). I will share the results when I bring it back in January.
yeah but after you've tested it, and told us all just how ******* awesome it is, you and all your family are planning to again return to Germany with empty suit case and a list of orders..... right?

Back