German Decocted Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Today i am brewing an APA, however, i will be using weyermann bo pils malt, cara hell, and cara munich 1. I will be mashing at 69 for 1 hour, and then decocting 45-50% for 60 mins. The hops will be 30g cascade FWH, and a little bit of hallertau at 60, with some spalt at 15. I will ferment with 1007 at 18c. I dont know why i am doing this. Whenever i plan a brew, i start out doing everything "right",right malts for the style, right hops, yeast etc, and most of the time that's how i brew. But every now and then, by the time brew day comes around, i have tinkered so much that the brew is totally different than to when i started planning it. Is this some sort of disease?? am i missing some part of the brain in charge of logic?? :excl: . Does anyone else have this problem?, or am i alone in this neurological deficiency??

The mad tinkerer :blink:

dear mad tinkerer,
that sounds like a tasty beer. Why, only a few weeks ago I made an APA with bopils, amber and cara-hell, hopping with only 90g amarillo FWH, and it turned out good. although I just done an infusion mash. I'm sure 60 minutes of decocting will give you an interesting flavour! make sure you keep adding water to it...

on a side note, i tried the bopils in a dekoninck clone - i toasted a kilo of it and also chucked in a bit of caramunich and it was brilliant, clean and warm and malty. i love that malt.
neonmeate

Making hybrids between styles is a big part of the fun I think.

I recently made a pale ale with Wyeast 1056 yeast, but with Pilsner malt and Saaz hops, and a little bit of dark crystal to add some sweetness. It wouldn't match any recognised style guidelines, but it sure went down nicely!

There was a thread on brewboard.com recently regarding a style they called "Das IPA" which was meant to be the kind of beer the Germans would have freighted to India if they had colonised it instead of the Poms: big mallty beer with lots of Munich and noble hops. Might have to make that one sometime....

scrogster said:
There was a thread on brewboard.com recently regarding a style they called "Das IPA" which was meant to be the kind of beer the Germans would have freighted to India if they had colonised it instead of the Poms: big mallty beer with lots of Munich and noble hops. Might have to make that one sometime....
[post="72738"][/post]​

i reckon they mightve made something like this:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/uerige-doppel-sticke/46158/

neonmeate said:
scrogster said:
[post="72738"][/post]​

[post="72743"][/post]​

Now that looks like a mighty fine beer... Mmm, doppel alt...

Shawn.

neonmeate said:
scrogster said:
[post="72738"][/post]​

[post="72743"][/post]​

Now that sounds bloody nice. I'm going to give this one a go based on the description.
Thanks for that link neonmeate.

C&B
TDA

:wub: :wub: Never thought I'd say this with a beer and my wife may leave me.... however... I'M IN LOVE!

Warren -

Back