German Carafa Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Mashing a Dark Lager next & the recipe calls for 125 gms of German Carafa.

What would you suggest replacing with as I don't seem to be able to find locally, or does someone know a Brizzy store that stocks it?

Cheers....

Carafa I, II or III?

Carafa 1 is pretty much the same as chocolate malt, III is equivalent to black patent.

If Carafa Special was specified then the grains were milled after roasting to remove the outer layer of the grain and with it the grain bitterness and astringency

I can supply Carafa if you do not find anywhere local

Jovial Monk

The recipe didn't number I II or III - but also includes 240gms of Choc malt.

Any ideas? - it's for a Schwarzbier...

Nobody supplies it is Brisbane, I got a kg of it from www.esbeer.com.au, but www.grainandgrape.com.au should do the trick too.
I still have 250g left, but I think I'm using it for a brown...

As for substitutes, carafa 1 is the same colour as Joe White chocolate, but gives a different flavour. What I'd do is plug the recipe into Promash and see if you can end up with the same specs using either C1, CII or CIII.

I have a fair bit of both I and III... out of town for a couple of weeks at the end of this week - so if you are desparate, let me know asap and we'll sort something out.

dreamboat
Northside Brisbane

dreamboat said:
I have a fair bit of both I and III... out of town for a couple of weeks at the end of this week - so if you are desparate, let me know asap and we'll sort something out.

dreamboat
Northside Brisbane
[post="56324"][/post]​

You're a life saver - just emailed you :D :beer:

Back