German brew/food recommendations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
I'm currently sitting at an airport in Norway's Stavanger.. On my way to Germany, as the pice of everything is a large amount higher I have only tried a few local Norwegian brews, but have been saving myself for the German part of our holiday (3 weeks).

I'm interested in any must try brews from a store, and any must go places to eat/drink in the following:

Berlin
Nuremberg (Rothenburg and Dresden on the way through from berlin)
Munich
Weil Am Rhein (border of Basel Switzerland)
Rust (going for the Europa park haha)
Heidelberg
Frankfurt

I'll get plenty of pics of food/brews and will update this thread as often as I can!

Cheers!

No HaandBryggeriet? No Nogne O? Bugger Germany. Stay in Norway and do it properly.

Failing that, dunno how far out of your way Bamburg might be but I wouldn't dream of stepping foot in Germany without visiting Schlenkerla.

bum said:
No HaandBryggeriet? No Nogne O? Bugger Germany. Stay in Norway and do it properly.

Failing that, dunno how far out of your way Bamburg might be but I wouldn't dream of stepping foot in Germany without visiting Schlenkerla.
I'd LOVE to stay in norway, but after 2 weeks (went up into the arctic circle for a week for the northern lights), we already went over budget! It is so expensive, at least $14 per beer. With $80 trains and $200 meals, were lucky we only planned two weeks!

I just had a google, and it is on the way to Nuremberg, just asked SWMBO and she said it sounds good!

Might get to Nuremberg, check in and go for dinner (we have unlimited rail travel and its only like a trip to the city for dinner at home) and a (fair) few delicious sounding brews!

Sat down at a brew pub in Berlin today for lunch!

My god the meals are huge! I had salted pork neck with usual german sides, the fiancé (got engaged in Norway) had half a duck!

They had two beers on tap, a Hell and a Dunkel, I had the light and SWMBO had the Dark, from there we ordered a jug of Dark.

Malty, i expected a bit heavier bitterness in the dark, but it was a bit sweeter on my pallet than the light. Both tasty, would go back for the cheap awesome food! All up we spent 43 Euro on two massive meals and just under 2.5L of beer. Good going at the rate we got!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm jealous as all get out. Keep the pics coming.

Gotta admit though, after spending a few weeks in central Europe the wife and I were hankering for something a little more heavy on the salad or veg.
The old meat, potato and sauerkraut trifecta was getting a little ubiquitous.
My lederhosen ​ certainly seemed to be fitting a little more snugly by the time we left..

keep the review coming, I will be travelling through Germany in Sept so would greatly appreciate any info

Bloody Norwegians, all that North Sea Oil. Also the Kroner is way overvalued. Come back Quisling all is forgiven.

Unfortunately we couldn't get to schlenkerla, I forgot we had plans to visit a town called Rothenburg, and it was 3 trains out and 3 back, it was a whole day event, ended up eating at some local places but had no wifi or phone (forgot the 4 plug adapter to charge everything, and the D-SLR took priority).

Ended up at Hofbrau for a night in Berlin as it was just next door (this is before Rothenburg), got the knuckle, and a few brews, good, but nothing on the first stop, georgbræu was good!

Made it to Munich today, not a fan from the walk to the hotel, seems like a third world market place in old stone buildings on first look.

Might just be the couple of streets right near me. I will be heading out a bit later to eat, and will snap some pics of the meals, and beers.. More to come!

It's easy to find places to drink in Munich, the easy to find ones are a little cliche, but still worth it. If you go to the actual Hofbrauhaus then you will learn 'Ein Prosit' in a short period of time.

If it is not too cold there then some of the beer gardens are spectacular, you will make many friends in Munich as my wife and I had.

Have a Franziskaner weißbier and a weißwurst, a good white meal instead of the typical brown meal :)

Congratulations (and commiseration) by the way on your engagement.

Jurt said:
I'm currently sitting at an airport in Norway's Stavanger.. On my way to Germany, as the pice of everything is a large amount higher I have only tried a few local Norwegian brews, but have been saving myself for the German part of our holiday (3 weeks).

I'm interested in any must try brews from a store, and any must go places to eat/drink in the following:

Berlin
Nuremberg (Rothenburg and Dresden on the way through from berlin)
Munich
Weil Am Rhein (border of Basel Switzerland)
Rust (going for the Europa park haha)
Heidelberg
Frankfurt

I'll get plenty of pics of food/brews and will update this thread as often as I can!

Cheers!
Not the best choice of beer cities, but you'll find some good stuff. And beer is cheap in germany. Munich you'll find on the high end for Germany (3.50-4 euro per half L). But for us thats still super cheap. Bamberg is all less than 3 euro per half L. Some about 2.30!
Munich has plenty: I particularly like Forschungsbrauerei (brilliant), Augustiner Brauerei (the brewery not the city center place), and Weisses Brauhaus.
Nuremberg also good. Hutt'n is great. Braustuberl Schwarzer Bauer was good also (a few years back mind you). But you really have to get to Bamberg if your this close (or in Germany for that matter).

Bamberg is the home of Weyermann and the Mecca of beer.

Back