German Ale 1007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muscovy_333

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any feedback they could provide on the use of German Ale 1007?

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

Was planning on using it in a Vienna SMASH shortly.

Spoke with one of the sponsors to see if they had stock who mentioned it was not a super popular strain. At a quick glance it seems to have similar charateristics to the Wyeast Kolsch strain.

I'd appreciate some personal experiences (with the yeast that is..)

Ive used it in an Alt and in a dark "lager"...

Dont have any problems with it other than it takes a good 3-4 weeks to drop clear in the keg...

Heaps of stuff here...

I absolutely love it. Great performer, awesome for top cropping, it requires a blowoff tube or a supply of towels, starsan and patience as even at temps as low as 14c it explodes. The pic attached was a kolsch from a few months ago.

kolsch.jpg

It does well in kolsch, great in altbier, I suspect it would be good in many styles depending on the temp. I love it, smooth, gives off a nice creamy mouthfeel etc (I don't really know the accepted descriptors).

Terrible floccer and for a non-kegging, non-fliterer like myself I give it a minimum of two weeks cold conditioning...it clears up as well as any of my others over time (which perhaps isn't saying much), but takes longer to carbonate in the bottle as a result.

It is a good yeast, a little slow and sulfury though. If you can get your hands on White labs, WLP029 is a little cleaner and drops a little brighter. Wyeast 2575 seasonal is good also for lager-like ale yeast

I would just make sure there is enough Calcium for the yeast to floc out properly (cacl2 for a vienna pseudo lager), enough oxygen and pitching rate to deal with the sulfur (pitch almost at lager rates) and then use gelatin or filter if using 1007

I use it for Kolsch, which are fine a bit hazy and flavorful, be a pita for many other less yeasty styles though.

Thankyou all,
exactly the kind of sound feedback i was after.

I will be fermenting on the lower end of the temp scale, alt style SMASH (if their is such a thing).

@Lecterfan, I have never had a yeast "climb" out of my fermenter but am looking forward to the experience. I have cubed 15 litres to give this yeast a go so should be able to contain it in my 30 litre fermenter...perhaps i should be using my 60 litre...

Go the 60L. I have an Alt on ATM and did the same as lecterfan's!

Used this yeast for the first time on the weekend. Brewed a Nthrn German Altbier OG 1.047. Once a krausen had formed, caboooosh it went off, bursting through the clingwrap and leaving beery deposits on the floor of the fridge. Checked it today by pushing on top of the cling wrap and flattened the clingwrap dome that had formed from CO2. The vigorous fermentation that was occuring yesterday had slowed down significantly. My experience with most other yeasts is that when this occurs I would expect to be down around 1.014-1.016 (for the same OG of 1.047), so I tested the SG and 1.024?? Hmm alot higher than I was expecting.

Is this others experience with 1007 in that the last 1/3 of fermentation slows down a fair bit and occurs when the krausen has fallen back in?

Cheers

I had the same experience.

Same boom at the start then 8 days late only at 1020. Raised the temp for a d rest and 5 more days later 1014. This is around my expected final gravity.

Funny yeast this one.

Latest posts

Back