Genuine 50l Xxxx Kegs & Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booga

Reaction score
I did the garage sale rounds on Sat just gone and found 2 genuine 50L XXXX kegs for $30 each and the gas / product fittings for $100........(I had some inside info).

I haven't "officially" bought them as yet.

Heres the question, I have heard it is against the law to have and use them. Is this true??

Booga.

If they belong to the brewery, yeah, "illegal" to have/use

JM

hhhmmm, ok, is there any legitimate way of buying XXXX kegs??

or is it pretty much anything with a XXXX stamp on it is illegal??

Booga.

anything with a XXXX stamp on it is illegal

When I am king, that will be amongst my first laws.

Even speaking as an ex-Queenslander I still cant forgive that crap :p

It is illegal....but if there are no markings on them...eg ground off prior to purchase...

I leave it upto you....

ok cool, thanks to all your replies.

and barfridge........thats funny s**t :D

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Booga.

barfridge said:
anything with a XXXX stamp on it is illegal

When I am king, that will be amongst my first laws.

Even speaking as an ex-Queenslander I still cant forgive that crap :p
Meh, xxxx is probably the only drinkable megalager.

From what i have heard its the only mega lager to use fresh hops.

With the kegs any that are the new type with the spear attached inside the keg will always remain the property of the brewery.

Jayse

well.........these are those new ones with the internal spear and they come with the gas/product attachment for the top........

Thats a shame ;)

thanks again.

Booga.

You have to ask this question though.
If something is the property of someone then you would think they would look after it. If you own something would you leave it out on the street? If you did leave it out on the street and someone took it then would you consider it stealing or your own fault for leaving it in a public place ?
Also in my suburb about two times a year we have a council clean up. You get to put out what you don't want on the footpath and the council will come and collect it. However secondhand dealers and anyone else consider the goods fair game and do the rounds picking over the goodies/junk.

Now where I was really heading with this is I've been walking past a large pub on my way to work the last two weeks. For the last two weeks on the public footpath at the back of the pub are sitting approx 30 kegs. A mix of 50 and 30 litre kegs all in varying condition. If it was council cleanup week would they be fair game ?

Doc

Hi Booga,
The keg may very well remain the property of the brewery that would be up to the person with the keg but the fitting in the top is not and it would be worth a few dollars.
As GMK said some kegs are hard to identify if the keg has been "damaged"
Cheers

dicko said:
but the fitting in the top is not and it would be worth a few dollars.
Lets just say I ended up buying the fitting......

I have no idea as to there worth but thort it looked like it was worth the money........probably a silly decision.

I payed $100, what are they worth??

Booga.

keg_fitting.jpg

I'll be very happy with that

Booga

That is probably all right.
The turrets are 20.00ea = 40.00
the coupler should be around the 50.00.

My old man has a 50L Tooheys keg in his garage that he has somehow acquired.

Apart from the coupling, what special equipment or modifications are needed to use the keg for carbonating and/or dispensing homebrew (excluding CO2 bottle, regulator, lines etc.)?

Make sure the coupler has keg turrets screwed onto it - ie one for gas and one for beer as they are different...

GMK said:
Booga

That is probably all right.
The turrets are 20.00ea = 40.00
the coupler should be around the 50.00.
ok cool, thanks Batz & GMK, I don't feel so bad now...........

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back