Generic Belgian Tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPsycho

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got some mates visiting from Belgium this winter- thinking of chucking down a generic tripel in coming weeks so it will age and be ready by the time they're here.

I'm not even going to try to replicate any of the individual Tripels (I'm still a beginner!)- just something of drinkable quality that will make them feel welcome!

I've found this already- http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/recipes/86...ian-tripel.html

Does it look ok, or does anyone else have any better suggestions?

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

Not an expert on kits but I'd suggest that 2 lager kits and 750g-1kg kg of dextrose or light candy sugar (make your own). ferment with 3787 at 20*c. Something like a coopers euro lager, morgans blue mountains lager or something like that. I feel there is little difference in most of them anyway.

Adding some grain such as 200-500g melanoiden and wheat would probably work well to improve it. doing a quick boil with 20g of saaz or maybe styrian goldings wouldn't hurt.

The most important thing is getting that healthy yeast in there and getting the right fermentation conditions.

yeah definitely looking to use a proper trappist/abbey yeast starter- i spose it's just a matter of settling on a decent extract/sugar combo

2x coopers candaian blonde, adn sugar plus wyeast 1388, more of a BGSA, but extract tripsles with westmalle yeast alaways taste terrible to me

Suggestions above look good. I did a Kits and Bits Dubbel last year, turned out well

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=53194

For a Tripel I would suggest:

- Use a quality hopped kit with high bitterness and noble hops, ie TC Pilsener worked well
- Belgian yeast is an absolute must as there not much else going on. Try an pitch a big starter
- A bit of dex will help to keep it dry
- Light candi sugar will be needed to get the right characteristics
- Small amount of lighter steeped malt (carapils/carabelge/carahell) might help to add some complexity/graininess
- If you use a well hopped kit don't do any late hopping
- Keep it cool for the initial ferment

See here for more ideas

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentatio...lgianTripel.pdf

Suggestions above look good. I did a Kits and Bits Dubbel last year, turned out well

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=53194

For a Tripel I would suggest:

- Use a quality hopped kit with high bitterness and noble hops, ie TC Pilsener worked well
- Belgian yeast is an absolute must as there not much else going on. Try an pitch a big starter
- A bit of dex will help to keep it dry
- Light candi sugar will be needed to get the right characteristics
- Small amount of lighter steeped malt (carapils/carabelge/carahell) might help to add some complexity/graininess
- If you use a well hopped kit don't do any late hopping
- Keep it cool for the initial ferment

See here for more ideas

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentatio...lgianTripel.pdf

I don't know if it's worth the expense, but you can get Chimay clones in kits for around $50. There are bound to be other Blegian tripel kits out there too. I'm sure I've bumped into a thread or two on these before... can't remember if they got the thumbs up or not.

That recipe looks reasonable for an extract recipe.

Pick yeast well. Only thing about the recipe is that I would steep the grains for longer. 60 minutes would be better than 10.

I'd also look at adding some later hops but I like the flavour and bitterness of styrians in a tripel. What's the IBU on that recipe?

I'm with sinkas in the yeast choice - even though it's not a tripel yeast, the 1388 gives great Belgian flavours without being such a difficult mistress.

I'd be upping that. To me a tripel will get away with much more hoppiness than a lot of other Belgian styles. Westmalle (delicious) is up around 39.

I'd go 25+ according to personal taste with mine pushing to 30 minimum and a bit of flavour hopping contributing some of that (so 20 minute additions too).

So stick with styrian and go a 40g/60min and 20g/20min? Gets it closer to 25..

Are you doing full wort boils? If so, I brewed this about a year ago, its a recipe from BCS- It was pretty good from memory. It was actually my first belgian.
But on another note, does anyone have a recipe for a Tripel Karmaleit clone?

Strict Observance Tripel
OG: 1.081
FG: 1.012
IBU: 34
Boil 60mins
Preboil grav 1.063
Preboil Vol 26.5L

4.71kg Pilsner LME
Sugar (table sugar) 1.13kg

Steeped 30 mins in 2L - 120g Aromatic or Melanoiden Malt

Hops
Tetnang 4% 65g 60mins
Saaz 4% 14g 10mins

Yeast WLP530 x2 in a 2L Starter.

Ferment at 21C

Na- haven't invested in a big enough pot for a full wort just yet

righto... gonna have a bash with this:

100g CaraMalt Grain (steep to boil)
300g CaraPils Grain (steep to boil)

3kg Light Liquid Malt Extract
500g Light Dried Malt
500g Clear Belgian Candi Sugar

40g Styrian Goldings (5 % AA) - 60min boil
15g Styrian Goldings (5% AA) - 20min boil

Wyeast 1388 or 3787 (depending what my HBS has!) yeast made up with a starter

750g dextrose added incrementally to primary

batch size- 19L
brewpal estimations: post boil OG 1.066 (without dextrose)
IBU 26
total est ABV (with dextrose) 8.0%

plan to leave it in the primary for around a week or so once it's finished fermenting to condition a little- then bottle condition for approx 3months

Back