Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Hey Guys',just a couple of quick questions here;
1- I usually gelatine when racking to secondary but this time I want to do it in the primary when fermentation is finished.
Question is,"Will this affect or prevent me putting the next brew on this yeast cake?" I don't think it will but just making sure.
2- I have just been reading a post about adding rice to recipes,seems to be of some benefit.Question is,"Would there be any benefit adding 200 grammes of rice to a 23 litre batch of,say,Dr.Smurto's Golden Ale? More than 200 grammes,less or none?"
Opinion seems to be that it results in clearer beer.
I only make ales,mostly darker ones,Irish Red etc. and no chill with BIAB. Thanks for any opinions and advice,
Cheers,
wombil.

Best not to ferment on a whole yeast cake, as it's old, there's too many of them, and you'll get a better beer if you pitch a good amount and let them breed up another generation to eat your new batch.

I've brewed successfully on saved trub that had gelatine in it, but not a whole cake.

I wouldn't bother adding 200g of rice unless it was leftover from last night's dinner. A lot of hassle for not much difference.

Thanks Nick,
So I'll put about 100/200 ml of slurry in and should be ok then.
We have got rice left over from last night but are eating it tonight so thats gone too.
Might give it a go later down the track tho just for fun.

Just make sure you give the trub a good stir up before pouring into the jar to get a good cross section of early and late flocc'ing yeast. Go for the 200ml as well.

Back