Gelatine or best adjunct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if Whirflock loses its effectiveness over time, but my last 2 batches haven't cleared anything like they usually do when I whirlpool. I'm going to use some fresh whirflock on my next batch and see if that makes a difference.

I put the gelatin in the keg and find that gives excellent results. If the keg is moved, it disturbs some of the sediment, but as long as it's not shaken too much, only a couple of glasses are muddy.

The first time I used gelatin was on a red ale that I just loved the colour of. As I have no cold crash means, I was dubious about the result I would attain without it. Pressed on regardless and so racked beer into container and added gelatin as prescribed. Left it for 4 days at about 15c in the shed, racked into bulk prime and bottled. Took longer to carb up than usual but the result was clearer than if I'd just used the brewbrite. Now I only gelatin certain unfloccy yeast types. It has it's place in the "toolbox" no doubt.

Black Devil Dog said:
I'm not sure if Whirflock loses its effectiveness over time, but my last 2 batches haven't cleared anything like they usually do when I whirlpool. I'm going to use some fresh whirflock on my next batch and see if that makes a difference.
I had the same issue with whir flock tabs that were well over 12 months old. Changed to Brew-bright and no issue. I hope Brew Bright doesn't have the same issue coz it will take me awhile to use the whole container.

I've used gelatin a few times with great success every time but it is really easy to stir up. Even when gently lifting a keg to check levels. I've only tried polyclar once but I don't think I used it in the correct way or circumstance so I still have to experiment a bit more.

nosco said:
Changed to Brew-bright and no issue. I hope Brew Bright doesn't have the same issue coz it will take me awhile to use the whole container.
Keep the lid on your BrewBrite and it will be fine.

Rocker1986 said:
I added the gelatine to the fermenter while cold crashing, then bottled it a couple of days later. Yeast sediment was still fluffy and disturbed easily. Maybe I didn't leave it in there long enough. :unsure: But the yeast drops quick and well enough on its own anyway. I've yet to bottle anything I've used isinglass in so not sure if it has the same results. In any case I won't be using gelatine again in a hurry.
You may have been using too much if that is happening. It's a bit of a balancing act.

Is Brewbrite, Brewbrite?

I'm so confused as I have seen people mention Brewbrite, Polyclar Brewbrite, Polyclar and Polyclar PVPP......

AFAIK Polyclar needs to be added to the fermenter, but Brewbrite (Polyclar) gets added similar to Whirfloc.

Or is it just the same thing, used differently to get different results?

I've been using Irish Moss and Whirfloc and get pretty damn clear beers into the cube.

Brewbrite is carageen and polyclar added when you would add whir floc for a similar result.

I've mucked around with most of them and settled on Brewbrite in the kettle and then I filter between the fermenter and the kegs.

Gelatine worked ok but as mentioned if the keg was moved it would go cloudy again, Polyclar was pretty good but the results were not consistent. Waiting a few weeks also works and the yeast sediment tends to stick a bit better than using gelatine but I am not normally that patient.

I now just cold crash, hold it a -1degC for at least a day then filter from the fermenter into kegs, this gives me consistently crystal clear beer with no visible yeast or chill haze. The kegs can be moved with no risk of the beer going cloudy again, when the kegs blow there is no wasting the last glass of yeasty beer and the kegs are easy to clean. If I force carbonate I can be drinking clear beer an hour after I have transferred it from the fermenter.

Given that a good quality 1 micron absolute filter and housing can be found for ~$90 and I have filtered many hundreds of liters with the one filter this is my preferred method by far.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Is Brewbrite, Brewbrite?

I'm so confused as I have seen people mention Brewbrite, Polyclar Brewbrite, Polyclar and Polyclar PVPP......

AFAIK Polyclar needs to be added to the fermenter, but Brewbrite (Polyclar) gets added similar to Whirfloc.

Or is it just the same thing, used differently to get different results?

I've been using Irish Moss and Whirfloc and get pretty damn clear beers into the cube.
It can get confusing.
BrewBright is a blend of PVPP and Carrageenan. It is added to the kettle. But it also helps in clarifying beer in the fermenter also. So yes, you would use it instead of Whirfloc.

If you want some more details, feel free to PM me.

GalBrew said:
You may have been using too much if that is happening. It's a bit of a balancing act.
You may be right there, I don't know. In any case, the isinglass must have dropped the yeast like a stone in the FV. I had very little yeast haze in this keg on its first day (fast carbonated it, new toy blah blah..). It's been in there a week now and didn't even pick up any yeast in the couple of glasses I had over the weekend. Pretty happy with that so I reckon I'll keep up with the isinglass. :)

Rocker1986 said:
You may be right there, I don't know. In any case, the isinglass must have dropped the yeast like a stone in the FV. I had very little yeast haze in this keg on its first day (fast carbonated it, new toy blah blah..). It's been in there a week now and didn't even pick up any yeast in the couple of glasses I had over the weekend. Pretty happy with that so I reckon I'll keep up with the isinglass. :)
Are you using the dry or the liquid isinglass? I tried the dried a few times, prepared it as per the instructions and it didn't seem to do much more than gelatine.

I have the dry, powdered one. Mine is called Cryofine. They are basically the same thing, i.e. collagen derived from animal bits, but there must be some differences given isinglass comes from swim bladders of tropical fish and gelatine comes from hooves etc.

It doesn't do much differently to gelatine; it drops yeast and a few proteins. However, if it results in a compacted sediment rather than a fluffy, easily disturbed one, then I'll always favour it.

Wrong Otto

Rocker1986 said:
isinglass comes from swim bladders of tropical fish and gelatine comes from hooves etc.
"Isinglass was originally made exclusively from sturgeon, especially beluga, until the 1795 invention by William Murdoch of a cheap substitute using cod. This was extensively used in Britain in place of Russian isinglass. The bladders, once removed from the fish, processed, and dried, are formed into various shapes for use."

I believe most gelatin comes from pig skin these days.

Edit: just the lab grade stuff I use at work is pig.

Latest posts

Back