Gelatine or best adjunct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
As im always learning about brewing. Im looking into making my beers taste better aswell as look better.

I use whirlfloc tablets in the boil. My beers do clean up clear but takes a bit in the fridge about 3 weeks.

As i work alot my fermentation schedule is normally held at lows temps. With a steady slow increase over time to a dialectic rest. I dont cold crash tho.

I do keg. Normally my kegs will sit for about a month before use. Then in the fridge for carbing.

As i dont have alot of time. 2ndary fermenting is a no go.

Can i just put the gelatine in the keg. While filling up the keg. Would it clear the beer up while the keg is at ambient for a month. Or would it do nothing until in the fridge for a week. Is there something better i should look into. And where do i buy it from. I would prefer bulk possibly.

Your insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks scott

Gelatin is cheap and easy and people get great results adding it directly to the keg. I would add to the keg at the same time as you put it in the fridge and after a week it should be crystal clear. first pint from the keg will be cloudy but after that it will be all good. gelatin you can just get from coles or woolies.

add to my keg when i bulk prime it.

Look up davis gelatine.
Plain.
Can get powder or leaf - leaf is expensive but quality but davis sdould do the trick.

Dissolve a small level teaspoon in some hot water (I boil and let mine cool to around 70 then stir really well till dissolved).
Tip into keg gently, refrigerate at 0- 4 for a few days then carb and bump up to serving temp.

I can't criticise anyone for using their preferred fining agent: It could be Irish moss or a Whirlfloc type or Polyclar or anything else. I've tried many (or most) of those, but have now settled on using a slurry of Brewbrite in the boil and it absolutely gives me the best results by far.

It can be really deceptive to measure because it is an incredibly non-dense powder, but used at the correct rate (4g per 23 litres) it gives me amazing results. One levelled dessertspoon is only 2 grams in the variety I get! Add the slurry to the boil for the last 10 mins, then leaving it to settle for at least 15 mins after whirlpool, and trying to leave most of the "flocculant" behind in the kettle when draining the wort to the FV really gives great results.

The advantage of something like brewbrite is that it functions on a number of levels to produce clearer beer. Gelatine will really only influence yeast.

I've tried gelatine a couple of times, and while it drops yeast well, it also causes the yeast sediment to be fluffy and easily disturbed, at least in my experience anyway. This defeats the purpose in my mind. I stopped using it in bottles because well, the yeast drops fine on its own anyway, and I don't need to make it easier to stir it up. Polyclar I find great for removing chill haze.

I have just begun kegging my beers, and used a combination of Isinglass and Polyclar on the first one, in the fermenter though, not the keg itself. Still a bit of yeast settling to go (was only kegged a few days ago), but there is bugger all yeast in suspension compared to what there would have been without it, and there is not a hint of chill haze in it. Once the yeast drops fully it'll be crystal clear. And it already tastes better than the previous batch which was only hit with Polyclar, and somehow retained a shitload of chill haze. Go figure.

I also use Brewbrite in the boil. Pretty much the same process as Antiphile, except I don't bother whirlpooling it.

Gelatine works best in fermenter before kegging or bottling. It will fluff and cloud if disturbed so bottles are generally not a good candidate (fine, cold condition then bottle). Kegs are ok if not moving around.

I used to use whirlfloc. Then i started using gelatine in the kegs to. The gelatine works good if ya dont bump the keg. But im always moving mine around in the kegorater. Even at cold temps with slight movement all the shit would float again and pour a few cloudys.
Now ive been using brewbrite and it does a great job when mixed correctly. Beer clears up in the keg on its own relatively fast.

I added the gelatine to the fermenter while cold crashing, then bottled it a couple of days later. Yeast sediment was still fluffy and disturbed easily. Maybe I didn't leave it in there long enough. :unsure: But the yeast drops quick and well enough on its own anyway. I've yet to bottle anything I've used isinglass in so not sure if it has the same results. In any case I won't be using gelatine again in a hurry.

That said, I stopped using for bottling and just let time and cold do the thing.
Switching to kegs I have returned to gelatine for some beers.

I figured as much, but yeah I stopped using it for bottling as well as I didn't really feel it was necessary. Any chill haze I get hangs around so I just use Polyclar for that. Works well.

Depends on type of beer too I spose the yanks with their 6 row use corn rice to clear
cream ale, cap styles

Are you talking ales or lagers what yeast are you using flocculant ?

Also amount of calcium in you're water helps flocculation

I have'nt done any lagers but like you I use wirfloc ferment for 2 weeks then cc as low as my dodgy fridge will go
as long as I can wait

In the keg should be the same though for cc ing, last brew did'nt cc long it took 2 weeks to start to get there but with a pommy yeast that flocced well

I'm the same like a clear beer except a cloudy wheat

Also there is filtering I have'nt gone there as I have time for it to drop

Some people filter as it comes out the keg to the glass Dent is you're man there

Any way good luck in you;re quest

Kingy said:
Now ive been using brewbrite and it does a great job when mixed correctly. Beer clears up in the keg on its own relatively fast.
The thing I like about BrewBrite, is that is goes into the kettle in the last 10 mins. That's it... (used correctly). Its easy.

If you want an absolutely sparkling beer, then there's more to it, and other products and processes are needed. Plenty of info on AHB about that too.

Whirlfloc in the kettle - cold crash the fermenter - keg - gelatin - give it a day or two, good to go.
If I was any more anal about beer clarity than that, I'd filter.

Do it like this bloke. Cant go wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaVaCyT2yY

Latest posts

Back