Gelatine leaves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesl73

Reaction score
I'd like to try gelatine in the fermenter on my latest brew. Looking in my local Coles I see they only have the leaves and not the powder. Any instructions I've seen only refer to powder.
Can I use leaves and if so how much? Thanks

Coles should have McKenzies brand Gelatine Powder. It's a purple/white label. (dunno if your local doesn't carry it, but it's available online and in-stores near me).

this help you with your question .

Powdered and leaf gelatine are usually interchangeable, but for best results try to use the type specified in the recipe. As a general rule, two gelatine leaves is equivalent to one teaspoon of powdered gelatine.

Coles

I didn't realise it was an animal product, this doesn't matter to me but was wondering if any others have used it and given your beer to a vegetarian without telling them? !

chesl73 said:
I didn't realise it was an animal product, this doesn't matter to me but was wondering if any others have used it and given your beer to a vegetarian without telling them? !
I'd rather not lie. If I use gelatine (which I rarely do) I'm frank about it.

I've used one leaf for a 23L batch. With CC'ing it worked well.

Edit: Bought it from Aldi :p

chesl73 said:
The key is to tell them after they drink it, and preferably just before they go home.

Ask them for another & they will probably say neigh

I almost thought that was the stuff I use, but mine's not vegan friendly. It's Cryofine (isinglass), maybe ok for vegetarians who eat fish though. :p

Frank , Kirsty my name is Mr Ed of course of course

My understanding is that (when using in the fv) all the gelatin drops with the yeast, leaving none in the final product . So you could truthfully say your beer contains no animal products .

Basically that is what happens. It drops out into the trub, dragging yeast with it. It doesn't remove ALL the yeast but enough. I prefer isinglass though, it doesn't seem to make the yeast sediment fluffy and easily disturbed like gelatine seems to do.

wereprawn said:
My understanding is that (when using in the fv) all the gelatin drops with the yeast, leaving none in the final product . So you could truthfully say your beer contains no animal products .

Yes but depending on the reasons for the diet choices, as the product was still used in the manufacture, it may still be an issue.

Back