Gelatine in keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a blonde fermenting,(not that sort),@18 deg. for 18 days so should be finished ok.
Still got some bubbles floating on top but not infection.I want to keg this now without crash chill to clear it.
Thinking of adding gelatine to the keg and pull the crap out with the first couple of pours.
Anyone done this and does it work ok?

yep add gelatine to keg all the time. let it sit for a day or so, first glass will be mud but get clearer. I have found it just keeps getting clearer the longer its in keg

Gelatine is good in the keg provided you don't move it around. Not so good for bottling as you get "fluffy bottoms"

You can actually use gelatine in normal fermenting temperature beer, doesn't need to be chilled. I have a "naked gas line" branching off one of the keg gas lines, with an on/off tap near the end of the line. I originally fitted it for my old CPBF but nowadays it gets used for flushing headspaces. Seeing as you keg if you get a length of gas line, tap and run it of a splitter you can add gelatine to the fermenter then give it a good CO2 flush while you are putting the top / clingwrap back on and leave for a couple of days, then you can get clear beer into the keg without risk of spoiling, so more pints :beerbang:

OK I'll bite.
Why not just gelatine in the fermenter and save all the hassle?

I had a problem with haze after kegging and conditioning for a week or so, until I was put onto the gelatine trick. The haze wasn't chill haze, more likely yeast and crap still in suspension. Now I use it all the time for beers I want to clear up without the need for filtering.

This is how I do it and it works well. Crash chill in the fermenter and keg as normal. Boil water and measure 100mls into a sanitised container and add 2 teaspoons of powered gelatine. Shake/Stir until the gelatine is dissolved, Cover and let it cool down to near room temp (if you do this in the fridge, don't let it get too cool that it starts to set....doesn't work). Add to the keg and leave for a few days. The first pour will be full of yeast/gelatine/crap but will clear after the first 200/300mls.

I believe it works not by gelatizing yeast and other crap, rather the gelatine molecules are positively charged and attach themselves to the negatively charged yeast/crap particles, creating a heavier molecule that falls to the bottom of the keg faster.

Cheers,

Womball.

i guess i just forget sometimes so when it comes to keg i go oh shit havent done that step. boil up enough water. let cool for a bit, add 300 ml to a jug add two teaspoons of gelatine stir chuck in keg and keg of. easy as

woops keg on top of that is meant to say

Womball said:
I had a problem with haze after kegging and conditioning for a week or so, until I was put onto the gelatine trick. The haze wasn't chill haze, more likely yeast and crap still in suspension. Now I use it all the time for beers I want to clear up without the need for filtering.

This is how I do it and it works well. Crash chill in the fermenter and keg as normal. Boil water and measure 100mls into a sanitised container and add 2 teaspoons of powered gelatine. Shake/Stir until the gelatine is dissolved, Cover and let it cool down to near room temp (if you do this in the fridge, don't let it get too cool that it starts to set....doesn't work). Add to the keg and leave for a few days. The first pour will be full of yeast/gelatine/crap but will clear after the first 200/300mls.

I believe it works not by gelatizing yeast and other crap, rather the gelatine molecules are positively charged and attach themselves to the negatively charged yeast/crap particles, creating a heavier molecule that falls to the bottom of the keg faster.

Cheers,

Womball.
You can knock that back to 1 teaspoon and get the same result. Also, you should let the water cool to about 70C or so before adding the gelatine.

browndog said:
You can knock that back to 1 teaspoon and get the same result. Also, you should let the water cool to about 70C or so before adding the gelatine.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I added the gelatine at near boiling temp as my thought was it would dissolve better at the higher temp.

Womball said:
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I added the gelatine at near boiling temp as my thought was it would dissolve better at the higher temp.
I was informed by a brewer long ago that boiling water will neutralize the effect of the gelatine.

apparently it denatures the proteins

Thanks Guys
Mikec, doing this because I'm out of piss.

browndog said:
You can even knock that back to 1/2 a teaspoon with the same result I have found.

Back