Gelatin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
I am thinking of giving Gelatin a go to see how it clears for my current brew.

Anyway I looked into beersmith and it says to only put it in for 5 hours? is this correct?

And to only have 1/2 teaspoon for 18 litres.

I am planning on putting it in secondary so I thought I would ask to see what is recommended and how much.

I thought at the start of secondary would have been the go, I only keep it in secondary for 3-4 days. I would have also thought that you would neeed more then 1/2 a teaspoon

Cheers :beerbang:

Hey Slugger, maybe shoot Chiller a PM I know he uses gelatin in his kegs

Hoops

sluggerdog said:
I am thinking of giving Gelatin a go to see how it clears for my current brew.

Anyway I looked into beersmith and it says to only put it in for 5 hours? is this correct?

And to only have 1/2 teaspoon for 18 litres.
[post="62229"][/post]​
I don't regularly use it but when I have, I have used 1 teaspoon for a keg. Worked beautifully.

slugger, I use gelatin all the time to clear my beers. 1/2 a teaspoon is less than I use but it might be enough.

Just leave it in long enough to settle out and clear. 5 hours might be the minimum.

Thanks Kai, I think I will try 1 teaspoon the day before I rack to my keg.

Cheers!

FROM BEERSMITH:

Prepare in 1 pint of water by heating gently until dissolved. Add before bottling. Do not boil.

This right?

ALSO does the temperature of the wort matter in anyway? Like can I put it in a cube that is at 2C or a cube that is at 15C?

I use it about 3 days before kegging/bottling. Dissolve about 1/2 tbsp in 1 cup of hot water (dont boil). Pour onto top of brew and gently stir in. I've used it in bot cold and warm beer, in the cold I figure you just need to give it a gentle stir to distribute it before it can set (never seen that happen however).

sluggerdog said:
FROM BEERSMITH:

Prepare in 1 pint of water by heating gently until dissolved. Add before bottling. Do not boil.

This right?

That's right.

I've heard Batz (I think) say that if he drops gelatin into a cold keg it drops out before it can do its business properly.

Kai said:
sluggerdog said:
FROM BEERSMITH:

This right?

That's right.

I've heard Batz (I think) say that if he drops gelatin into a cold keg it drops out before it can do its business properly.
[post="62301"][/post]​

Yes that's what happened Kai , I did pour it into a keg I had just racked from CC , the gelatin stuck to the dip tube and went all yukkie.
Still I did have a small amount set at the bottom of the keg , I would suggest not adding too cold brews.

Batz

from my most excellant memory via chiller.shorten keg dip tube by about 20mm.straight from fermenter to keg put 2 heaped teaspoons of gelatin in 1/2 cup of reasonably hot water to disolve.

hope this helps.

big d B)

big d said:
from my most excellant memory via chiller.shorten keg dip tube by about 20mm.straight from fermenter to keg put 2 heaped teaspoons of gelatin in 1/2 cup of reasonably hot water to disolve.

hope this helps.

big d B)
[post="62339"][/post]​

It maybe of interest here , instead of cutting your dip tube , you can reach inside of the keg and bend it to one side.
This is what I have done to all my kegs , gelatine sits in the bottom of the keg and well clear of the tube.

Try not to get your arm stuck in the keg , you'll look like a real knob sitting in the hosiptal with a keg on your arm :lol:

Batz

Nice one Batz, you're an ideas man.
I suppose as long as you don't bend it too far that it crimps you can always bend it back later.

Hoops

Just had a carbed up beer that went cloudy for whatever reason in the keg - tried polycar but it didnt really do the trick - so took a chance & ran the brew through my filter, which I had suspected wouldn't handle a carbed up beer too well - How wrong can you be, worked a treat & now got a beautifully clear ale :D

As I don't want to put the gelatin into my keg I am going to put it in my cube. Will 2 days be enough time to clear the beer and for the gelatin to drop out?

After the 2 days I will rack to keg.

Or should I leave it in for 4 days?

sluggerdog said:
As I don't want to put the gelatin into my keg I am going to put it in my cube. Will 2 days be enough time to clear the beer and for the gelatin to drop out?

After the 2 days I will rack to keg.

Or should I leave it in for 4 days?
[post="62529"][/post]​

Hi Slug,

If you are going to cube it leave it in there for at least 4 - 7 days and it will be dropped out by at least 95% [estimate]

It won't affect the flavour.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I have just put it into secondary 10 mins ago so I wil do the gelatin now.

Can just dump on top hey? No other option as the wort is already in there...

sluggerdog said:
Thanks Steve, I have just put it into secondary 10 mins ago so I wil do the gelatin now.

Can just dump on top hey? No other option as the wort is already in there...
[post="62533"][/post]​

Bring half a cup of water to the boil for about 2 - 3 minutes then let it cool to about 60c and dissolve 2.5 heaped teaspoons of cows hoof and add it to your beer. Give it a gentle swirl and leave it in the fridge for about 4 - 7 days.

Don't add the gelatin to boiling water as it looses its clearing ability.

Steve

chiller said:
Hi Slug,

If you are going to cube it leave it in there for at least 4 - 7 days and it will be dropped out by at least 95% [estimate]

Steve
[post="62532"][/post]​

and that will leave enough yeast in suspension for bottle carbonation?

wee stu said:
chiller said:
Hi Slug,

Steve
[post="62532"][/post]​

and that will leave enough yeast in suspension for bottle carbonation?
[post="62535"][/post]​

Yes --- :)

If you use gelatin when bottling don't bother with secondary in a cube go straight to the bottle. The yeast will do their thing and the clearing will take place without causing you any concerns at a lack of yeast to carb the bottle.

Steve

Back