Gelatin A Tapped Keg To Fix Yeastiness?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
I made an APA from a coopers pale ale tin, 250g wheat DME and 500g LDME. I made it ontop of another APA with dry hop sediment and US05.

It fermented fine and dropped out a fair bit of yeast in secondary too. It's been chilled for about a month now, but it's still pouring cloudy with strong yeast flavours (which are making it difficult to enjoy).

Would it be worth a shot to depressirise the keg and throw some gelatin finings in, mix it up and let it settle out over a couple of days?

The clarity doesn't bother me as it's just an extract I made up in haste to reuse the US05, but I need to mellow out these yeasty notes so I can empty the keg in a timely manner! Limited keg supply!

Cheers​

no worries with that man, once you fine it let it settle and dont move it. the 1st pull will be like sludge. subsequent pours should be all good.
Cheers
Mike

Thanks, Mike. Do you reckon it will help reduce the greenness and yeastiness much? It's not the same as filtering (thinking about getting a filter...).

only yeastie flavour imo, greenness goes away by leaving it on the yeast cake for a week or so, how long did you leave it fermenting for and what temp? I would have thought 1 month in the keg would have cleaned up those flavours

10 days in primary, 14 days in secondary, and it's been kegged around 14 days too.

The off flavours are mostly yeast-like. It's quite overwhelming so it's hard to separate other flaws. Will evaluate after gelatining.

Just wondering; can you use gelatin from the supermarket? I've just got once per use sachets of brewers gelatin, but would rather restock with generic stuff.

Just get edible gelatin from supermarket can't remember brand I get it's in a purple container like a small salt shaker.
I put two teaspoons in slightly cooled boiled water around 250 mls mix up and chuck it in.

Doesn't help for this brew, but for your next id say don't worry about the secondary, especially since its pretty short. Your beer will be fine on the yeast cake for 3-4 Weeks, and it might help clean up a bit more of the greenness since there are more yeasties to do the job.

Then crash chill for a couple of days before kegging, this will help settle out the yeast in the fermenter so you can leave them in there instead of the keg

Thanks for all the advice. I tried the microwave pasteurization method (10 mins on low microwave setting). First off 5g of gelatin in ~200ml of the beer it's going in, but the mw boiled the crap outta it, so I combined it with another 5g with cooled boiled water and repeated in mw on lower setting and it started to boil at about 8 mins so I took it out. Next time I'll try the lowest setting!

Will having boiled the gelatin reduce its effectiveness? I appreciate that I probably failed to pasturise it....

Like I said i wack 2 teaspoons in a sanitized glass jug then 250 ml of slightly cooled boiled water. Never had an issue in any of my brews and they come out clear as a bell.

So I poured a glass this morning and it poured as though nothing had happened. No jelly/goo. Just cloudy beer like before hmm. I tasted it and it does taste a bit more refined, but it could just be my morning taste buds haha

Any ideas as to why it hasn't worked (yet)?

doon: I was following advice I was PMed and also, the pasturisation process seems to be mentioned a hell of a lot, so I just thought adding an extra step couldn't hurt. I wonder if boiling the gelatin ruined it?

I am sure it says somewhere not to put gelatin in boiling water as it denatures it

Hold solution at 75 for 15 min but do not boil

Hold solution at 75 for 15 min but do not boil

Thanks for the link. Yeah the boiling was not intentional :(

I might try the stovetop in a flask.

So I guess there's no harm caused with the denatured gelatin in my beer? I'll just start again with 2tsp supermarket gelatin?

Thanks for the link. Yeah the boiling was not intentional :(

I might try the stovetop in a flask.

So I guess there's no harm caused with the denatured gelatin in my beer? I'll just start again with 2tsp supermarket gelatin?

It is pure protein so should remain inert...no harm.
Just like an enzyme, when you apply too much heat it will denature into a bunch of amino acids and have no function.

In the supermarket look for Wards edible gelatine kind of blue purple tub 100g works pretty well but do avoid boiling water.
I never have bothered with pasturisation I just add 2 teaspoons to a glass of boiled water for a 23l batch.

Cheers fellas. I might skip the pasturisation then. I don't have a suitable vessle/thermometer combo that would work on the stove anyway. Will try it next time when my new glass thermometer arrives.

My mum. 20 years ago is the last time I remember though. In fact I'm visiting her right now and she gave me a box of unflavoured clear gelatin to take home. Good old mums

Back