Geelong water: Does anyone know the sodium and chloride levels?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Brewmeister70

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm lucky to have really soft water living in the Montpellier water catchment of Geelong. The issue is I have gotten onto the Barwon Water website to get a report and they don't list the sodium (Na) or the chloride levels (Cl), both of which are important for making repeatable results hop / malt balance wise. I emailed them asking for these test results and didn't hear back so does anyone have this information?

Cheers,

Ian

MHB

Reaction score
Looks like there are a few zones that get different supply, the website for Barwon Water gives a pretty good starting place and some great info.

You will have to work out which zone you are in, click on the map. Nice to see that they give some Brewing specific information.
Mark

Try this link
M

Brewmeister70

Reaction score
Looks like there are a few zones that get different supply, the website for Barwon Water gives a pretty good starting place and some great info.

You will have to work out which zone you are in, click on the map. Nice to see that they give some Brewing specific information.
Mark

Try this link
M
Thanks for the reply Mark and yes, there is a lot of really good information updated regularly on their site. The stuff I'm looking for just isn't there unfortunately. I might try reaching out to some local small scale breweries in the area to see what they know about this but don't feel motivated enough to pay for a lab analysis to be honest.

Cheers,

Ian

MHB

Reaction score
Given what they say the water is very soft, not identical in all zones but the couple I looked at were pretty low in everything.
If you just look at the pH, an average of 7.1 tells you plenty. The Electrical Conductivity can be converted into TTD (total dissolved solids). If you subtract all the known values it doesn’t leave much room for a bunch of NaCl.
I wouldn’t worry about it, just de-chlorinate and add whatever you want.
Mark

Latest posts