G'day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnClunks

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this hobby,
Started extract brewing and now have moved on to AG using a robobrew haven't done a batch yet but I'm currently reading posts so I can learn some more techniques.
Going to do a dry run soon with just water and then brew.
Wish me luck

Hi @CapnClunks . Welcome to AG, it's a great hobby, well, not so much a hobby as a way of life.
I've never used an all-in-one system, but what's the dry run with water for? Is it to clean it or check for leaks or something like that?
That aside, what styles do you like to drink and what's your first brew going to be?

Welcome CapnClunks. Hope you enjoy the forum.
I don't know where you live, but my suggestion is to find a local brew club and get some help with your first batch. Generally club members are more than willing to guide any new brewer.
Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Hi @CapnClunks . Welcome to AG, it's a great hobby, well, not so much a hobby as a way of life.
I've never used an all-in-one system, but what's the dry run with water for? Is it to clean it or check for leaks or something like that?
That aside, what styles do you like to drink and what's your first brew going to be?
Dry run is too get used to programming the machine and also a cleaning run and to check for leaks, also it will let be see temperature and boil times. My mother and stepfather are visiting up from Tasmania and I will be making them a Australian lager style beer from brewfather
Screenshot_20220419-194513.png

I don't know where you live, but my suggestion is to find a local brew club and get some help with your first batch. Generally club members are more than willing to guide any new brewer.
Thanks I think I will be fine, I learn better when chucked in the deep end I have already started to compile random knowledge into a book from reading alot and YouTube, I will be trying to make my first Ag beer this week it's a lager style and isn't overly complicated (so I don't waste grain if it's a failure)

I like stouts, porter's and Irish red ale mainly

Good luck with your first brew. Lager can be one of the most difficult styles to get right, especially a low gravity one, as you've got nowhere to hide any errors so you really are jumping in at the deep end. Don't let me put you off though. I couldn't tell from your recipe what hops and yeast you're using and your fermentation temperature. Bare in mind, too, that if it's a proper, cold-fermented and cold-conditioned lager, it'll take much longer than an ale or a stout to be ready for drinking.

Good luck with your first brew. Lager can be one of the most difficult styles to get right, especially a low gravity one, as you've got nowhere to hide any errors so you really are jumping in at the deep end. Don't let me put you off though. I couldn't tell from your recipe what hops and yeast you're using and your fermentation temperature. Bare in mind, too, that if it's a proper, cold-fermented and cold-conditioned lager, it'll take much longer than an ale or a stout to be ready for drinking.
Yeast is 2 packets of s23 with starter.
Screenshot_20220420-163259.png

And as for the fermentation temperatures they are a bit hectic lol

Gave the robobrew a dry run today with just water measured boil time from room temp to 80c took 30 mins with the pump to circulate, fairly accurate about 1.5 degrees out so I'm happy with it. Only problem is with the recirculation arm it springs off sometimes with the camlock, also tried out my new counterflow wort chiller and man this thing chills fast overall I like this system.

received_399258422020132.jpeg

Drinking my first extract batch it's pretty good, I love this hobby already I hope I can repeat this now with AG. I started a yeast starter for my first batch and I am cooling it now so I can decant it but the bloody fruit flies love this stuff I had to scoop one out, I had covered it in santised aluminium foil and they still found a way in I'm a bit pissed of because it's 13 dollars of yeast but here's hoping. Next time I'm going to cover with a cheap mesh baking screen.
Cheers

What is in your robobrew today, any updates?

Latest posts

Back