G'Day from VA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewguyBob

Reaction score
Quasi-experienced (but not very) partial mash brewer from the other side (of this planet - USA), taking a look at what you lads are doing down under, and check out a brew day spreadsheet I found on your site. Hope you don't mind my intrusion; just curious what I can learn from checking out other brewers / clubs I've never yet met.

About me:
Old enough to know better, still mentally young enough to be insanely curious.
Stuck at partial mash brewing - would like to go all grain, but have not enough free time.
(The day job keeps me on the road so much that I can't even count on weekends off).
People have asked me, " Did you start home brewing so you could make beer, or just so you could make $#!t?"
The reply? "Yes" ....

Philosophies (Brewing):
Never found a recipe that I haven't personalized in some small way.
I brew to my tastes first and foremost; (others seem to find that approach successful, also.)
Brewing is a lot like cooking / baking; you just have to wait much longer to check out the result

Goals (Immediate):
1). Get the OctoberBeast out of the primary (it's been in there all month already - because I have not been here at all).
Might be time to try putting it in a keg (first time...) and try force carbonating. Wish me luck...
2). Avoid the impending hurricane....
Oooh!
3). Have a brew Club party to go to, starting right now! Later....

BrewguyBob

G,day and welcome.That hurricane sounds like a nasty one hope it doesn't interfere with your brewing, a blokes gotta get his priorities right .

G'day Bob

Good advice which I went with was to make a few SMaSH (single malt and single hop) brews. I'm talking AG here, as I moved straight from extract brewing to all-grain. The resulting brews may well be single-dimensional and lacking some depth, but excellent for educational purposes.

Stay safe as you can...

Cheers.

Welcome aboard Bob - there's no reason for you to feel like an intruder mate. Post often and let us all know that you got through that hurricane (what we call a cyclone).

Thanx for the warm replies and well wishes. Hurricane Mathew is forecast to veer out into the Atlantic before it gets here, with luck we may miss a lot of the major rain and wind.
Sadly the local forecast is still for rain from now thru the weekend (it was originally supposed to be sunny for a week and a half while I was home). Nuts, no shed build this week!
However, with living on the Atlantic coast here, the weather is like in Chicago - wait 5 minutes and it will change. Unfortunately, usually not for the dryer....
No storm cellar here to put it in, just the garage. No basements / cellars here where I live (16 ft above sea level), if you have a basement here, everyone calls it a POOL (because it will be).
I had plans to store some of the stuff in the new shed I have designed, this year the weather is not cooperating when I am at home (always too wet).

G'day Bob.

Make AG. It takes about 5hrs from the get go, I just brew big batches so I don't need to do it very often.
Welcome mate.

Rossco

Hi Bob,

Welcome to you!

If you're time poor and space deficient, check out one of these.

Interestingly, it's a New Zealand product that is about the same price in the US as it is here in AUS.

Best wishes and good luck with your brewing.

Hi Bob,

Welcome along. I was chatting with a pro-brewer the other day and we talked about forums - he said forums like AHB are important melting pots where alot of ideas spring from. I hope you can sort the wheat from the chaff and the forum helps you on your journey!

My Sister married a guy from Virginia Beach, his name was Rob...he's still there and she's back here but I did get the chance to visit and it was a nice spot!

Cheers
Jonny

edit> have you had any of those new East Coast IPA's - the pulp IPA's? they look amazing, I gotta make one!

G'day Bob! Great to see a site tourist and a beer local on the site! Welcome and have a great time eh. Here's hoping the hurricane has left your shores now and moved on.
Cheers

Back