G'Day from SW Qld

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruger

Reaction score
G'day everyone

I am a keen beer drinker and a novice home brewer keen to learn new skills. I have been making kit and kilo brews but am looking to build a better system to go all grain in the future. I currently live on a cattle property in SW Qld but a move to King Island is looking like it might happen.

I like to hunt and fish watch a bit of cricket and play a bit of backyard with my young bloke while not working.

Cheers

Mark

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

It can be a long way between craft beers in the great southeast so as good a reason as any to get into homebrewing :) There's some good advice to be had on here for sure.

If Toowoomba is accessible to you there is a brew club going there called TOOSOBA, they're a good bunch.

I done 25 years in Pittsworth before moving away from the dust to the humidity, but I still reckon its Gods country out there on the right day.

Is there any particular style of beer you're trying to brew starting out?

Rob

potof4x said:
Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

It can be a long way between craft beers in the great southeast so as good a reason as any to get into homebrewing :) There's some good advice to be had on here for sure.

If Toowoomba is accessible to you there is a brew club going there called TOOSOBA, they're a good bunch.

I done 25 years in Pittsworth before moving away from the dust to the humidity, but I still reckon its Gods country out there on the right day.

Is there any particular style of beer you're trying to brew starting out?

Rob
Rob

I like amber ales and dark beers and the odd pale ale aswell. My plan is to get a stout, amber and a pale ale on tap. My biggest enemy out here is the heat. I need a temperature controlled area to ferment in.

I am around ST George so a bit far from Toowoomba unfortunately.

I have a couple of coopers dark ale kits here and some coopers brew enhancer 2 that I want to make a brew from. I also need to build a keg fridge probly a keezer and upgrade my gear a bit.

Cheers mate

Mark

Welcome to the best little brewing forum.

Whether you're staying out at St George or heading down to King Island, you'll still want to cool for summer and warm in winter (or down at King Island even warm in summer sometings) , so when it comes time, I'd recommend setting up for both with the controller from the outset.

HBHB said:
Welcome to the best little brewing forum.

Whether you're staying out at St George or heading down to King Island, you'll still want to cool for summer and warm in winter (or down at King Island even warm in summer sometings) , so when it comes time, I'd recommend setting up for both with the controller from the outset.
Cheers for the welcome

What do I need?

A fridge and a temp controller of some sort?

Ruger said:
Rob

I like amber ales and dark beers and the odd pale ale aswell. My plan is to get a stout, amber and a pale ale on tap. My biggest enemy out here is the heat. I need a temperature controlled area to ferment in.

I have a couple of coopers dark ale kits here and some coopers brew enhancer 2 that I want to make a brew from. I also need to build a keg fridge probly a keezer and upgrade my gear a bit.

Cheers mate

Mark
Welcome to the forum mate.

Good country out there,eh 'twere were I grew up. Don't do what my old high school teacher did out there, and that's ;eave a couple cartons of home brew in the back seat of his car in the middle of summer....he was also known for upping the carbonation sugar as well.

And yeah, as HBHB said, fridge with controller will be your best friend.

Yep, an old Fridge and temp controller (One of the plug and play type ones - check out the sponsors links top of the page) or if so inclined, you could save a few $ and wire one yourself or get a sparky mate to wire one up - plus some sort of heating device. An old style incandescent light bulb 40w in a desk lamp or just a socket hung in the corner. Some guys use red glass paint, buy a red bulb or just stick it in a tin in the corner, so the light isn't direct on the beer.

Martin

Ruger said:
Rob

Cheers mate

Mark
If you are ever passing through, toowoomba homebrewers is one of the most well stocked brew shops you are likely to find. Well worth stopping in for supplies, especially if you go all grain.

Matplat said:
If you are ever passing through, toowoomba homebrewers is one of the most well stocked brew shops you are likely to find. Well worth stopping in for supplies, especially if you go all grain.
I go through Toowoomba a few times a year and have been there a few times but not for a few years.

Ruger said:
I like amber ales and dark beers and the odd pale ale as well. My plan is to get a stout, amber and a pale ale on tap. My biggest enemy out here is the heat. I need a temperature controlled area to ferment in.
Definitely get on the temperature control, and at least equally important is cleaning and sanitation. Clean and happy yeast are crucial to brewing good beer!

Ruger said:
I've used the dark ale kit along with a coopers stout tin to make a "toucan" which I can highly recommend. The robust taste of a stout may mask some off flavours that a paler beer might not. Fresh tins of goo are important too, the flavour deterioates inside the can and so does the yeast on the top. (remember - happy yeast!)

potof4x said:
Definitely get on the temperature control, and at least equally important is cleaning and sanitation. Clean and happy yeast are crucial to brewing good beer!

I've used the dark ale kit along with a coopers stout tin to make a "toucan" which I can highly recommend. The robust taste of a stout may mask some off flavours that a paler beer might not. Fresh tins of goo are important too, the flavour deterioates inside the can and so does the yeast on the top. (remember - happy yeast!)
Got a recipe for this?

1 can coopers dark ale
1 can coopers stout

23L volume.

Areate and use 2 x coopers packet yeast (14g)and ferment at constant 18C. Nottingham is also a good yeast for this recipe

G'day Mark,

Welcome to the forum, St George is not that far from where I grew up near Boomi. My wife is from Bungunya near Toobeah. My sister and her husband own the Two Mile In Mungindi.
I am in Mildura now.
Cheers,

Andrew.

Latest posts

Back