G'day from sunny Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyldstalyans

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been brewing kits for a few years but now wanna get into all grain to really learn this fantastic craft. Time, space and $$ are an issue for me so will be doing mainly small batch BIAB.

Cheers,

Anthony

Welcome Anthony! Heaps going on in the Melbourne scene and we often meet up and brew together. At least twice a year, if not more. Always great to try other people's brews and also get your own sampled.

Yes those big collab brews certainly illustrate well the all grain process, when it goes well, and when it goes side ways. The conversations with fellow brewers and sampling so many different beers and styles really opens one to so many possibilities in their own brewing.

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas. Gonna jump straight in here - I'm sure you've heard this 100 times.

Knowledge of AG/BIAB is 1/10. Experience is 0/10. I've been reading like a mofo and feel comfortable with the overall process. My issue is I'll be brewing smaller batch sizes and working out ratios of ingredients/water etc is giving me crossed eyes. I just wanna do a very basic brew to get comfy with the process. My kettle is the ubiquitous 19L Big Dubya pot. I also have a 15L fermenter that will fit in a bar fridge with temp control. I have been on www.biabrewer.info and checked out BIABacus but again the eyes go crossed. The only solid info I know is that I'd be happy if I can get ~10L of fermentable wort in the FV so just need to work backwards from there I guess. Worst case I'll wing it - sometimes that's the best way to learn.

Tks for any help.

Don't let space and $$ limit you. I set up a 3V all grain system for about $200 and brewed on an apartment balcony for my first few years of brewing. There is always lots of good gear around going cheap. Keep an eye on this forum/eBay/Gumtree etc for bargains.

Time is a little harder, but if you enjoy brewing then you'll be able to find the time to spare.

JD

Back