G'day from Launnie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndorphn

Reaction score
Hi guys... Just bought some brewing gear and about to launch into my new hobby of making beer. :D

Tassie is known for apples and hops. I moved back last year, and it's only just struck me that I'm surrounded by all the amazing ingredients that go into making beer and cider. I've brewed a few amazing batches of cider, and once my heating belts arrive that I ordered online, I'll crank up the home brews. Once I've got a few under my belt, I'm hoping to try partial mash and start playing with recipes. Keen to learn all i can to produce good brews. I've got modest expectations. Not expecting to be a master brewer over night. I'll be happy if I can produce something my mates and I consider drinkable.

Come hop harvest season, I may have to hop to it and hop some fences. ;)

Look forward to gleaning all I can from your posts in the forum, and contributing what i can.

Cheers!

:D

Sounds like you have most of the traits of a obsessive brewer... you will be just fine here!

Welcome aboard.

Brew, learn, read, post and enjoy.

Gleaning is the easiest to do by posting and asking.

Chabs.

If you have *the space, hops are pretty easy to grow and rhizomes are traded / sold here often at the right time of year. You can't get them from interstate but a few people locally (to you) have them.

Cheers and best of luck

*ed

Welcome back mate! There are a few of us in launnie now.
You forgot to mention that we also grow great barley and wheat down here. And lucky for you there is a bloke right here in launnie getting into malting.
I'd highly recommend getting into BIAB. You don't need to spend big dollars (my setup was about $30) and the beer is much better.
I do it and a few of my mates do too. I'd be more than happy to show you one weekend and supply you with a bit of grain.

Cheers guys!

Awesome! I reckon I'd be mad not to take you up on that offer mate! Watched a few videos online showing some basic BIAB. Looks like something I'll have to give a go when we move. The place we're in now only has a tiny kitchen. :/

Is there a local brewing club here? Or even a local haunt or watering hole where fellow brewers hang? I'm usually hanging out at the Royal Oak, the Cock & Bull, or the Cider Bar.

Just cracked open one of my recent ciders. Crisp and fruity, balanced the sweetness so it isn't to dry... and at 8.7% she's a ripper brew.

Went to the library today and borrowed a few books - stoked I found this one called The Homebrewer's Garden. It has heaps of info from growing ingredients to DIY malting barley on the cheap. :D

Also started rewatching Oz & James Drink to Britain. Freaking keen to try making Whiskey now... as well as do a big pub crawl around the UK.

Back