G'day from Coffs Harbour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdean4130

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm Matt. I'm from Coffs Harbour, NSW....

I guess like everybody here i've been bitten by the bug, and i guess there's a time in every home brewers "career" when a kilo of sugar and a tin just 'aint enough anymore!

So a little about me and my beer. I'm on brew, about, 7 or 8. I've had mixed results. My first ever brew was a Canadian Blonde - was pretty good. Pretty much was a BE2 and tin mix. Very drinkable, but very forgettable also.
My second brew was an old can of Tooheys Draught my old man had laying around. Total disaster. Probably out of date (never checked) probably rushed and just not worth going there.
My next batch was my jewel. Unfortunately its not gotten that good again! That was a Pale Ale, with Honey and LDM and a little hops (can't remember which). Was a very nice beer, although slightly honey sweet for my liking.

I'm a Coopers Pale Ale fanatic. One of my good mates introduced it to me a couple of years ago (I was a Carlton Dry/Draught man before) and i've never looked back! I consider myself a much further advanced beer snob because of it. Clear beers are almost frowned upon!

Anyway, after a good pale ale i had a Belgian ale and two consecutive pales fail. Vinegar.
I was tearing my hair out, because a) They all had hops and extra's so weren't exactly cheap, and b) Because i was being very careful with sterilisation etc.

Turns out, a few people have told me that plastic bottles are shithouse, and now i agree. I've also revisited my sanitation practices.
I lost interest in it for a while after, but just came back with a vengence!!
I've moved to glass now too!

Just bottled a Pale Ale (in the pursuit of a passable CPA clone as an everyday beer before making some more exotics). Used cultured coopers yeast, 20g POR hops and a BE2 pack. I alos just bought a second fermenter setup to take advantage of teh good brewing temps. In it is a Coopers Lager, with cultured CPA yeast, 1kg LDM, 200g Dex and 20g POR hops (as per a recipe i found on here)

Next up i wouldn't mind attempting to get close to a Four Wives (also another i like, on occasion), as well as a guinness style stout (always good to have one on hand)

Anyway, that's my life story! I've already came across a bunch of great advise and knowledge here and i look forward to diving further down the rabbit hole as i get better at this caper.

Honorable mention to Nick JD, who i've met over at the TDPRI (guitar forum) - i remembered a home brew post of yours over there years ago....

Cheers guys!

Matt

Hi Matt,
Used to be up your way heaps misses was from sawtell used to go up for the Chilli fest now and then. Maybe next year when the kids can sit still for 8 hours ..Welcome aboard it's a fun ride when you get s hang of it!

I recommend getting in to kegging. Its a bit of an initial expense but I recon its well worth it because you dont have sanitise dozens of bottles each time. Also beer on tap at home is a great thing. I did a couple of batches of home brew on and off over the years but always gave it away when I got sick of washing bottles.

I started kegging in November and haven't looked back.

I also started doing BIAB a few months ago and thats made the home brew experience even better again! (at the expense of my waistline)

Good luck mate. This forum is an awesome resource.

Hi Matt,
Good to see another Coffs Local here!
if you ever need a hand with anything,or want to experience how all grain (biab myself) works, just give us a yell :)

sp0rk said:
Hi Matt,
Good to see another Coffs Local here!
if you ever need a hand with anything,or want to experience how all grain (biab myself) works, just give us a yell :)
Hey Sp0rk, thanks!
Maybe give me a hoy next time you're putting one down i'd love to check it out and see how it's done!

Acarey - yes i've put some thought to that! As I almost always pour into a glass at home anyway it sounds like a good idea. Maybe some 5L fridge size setups i think would suit me down to the ground. Will check it out!

Nice to be here guys, and thanks for the welcome!

G'day Matt.
I'll introduce myself, my name is also Matt from Country Brewer Toormina.
Like you I too have been bitten by the bug, enough so to even open a store LOL :lol:.
So if there is anything I can do for you or even just call by for a chat, would be great to meet you.

Regards;
Matt
Country Brewer Toormina
Shop 8 The Link Centre
Hi-Tech Drive. Ph: 66588 397

If you want a hand doing an AG demo at ypur shop let me know.

I am.sure I can drag myself away from Grafton for a day.

Be a good way to meet and greet fellow brewers

There is a severe lack of AG brewers in this paart of the world.

I am willing to help convert anyone to the dark side for free.

For a good Guinness style stout, get a copy of Brewing Classic Styles and try the dry stout. Oh, and get a nitro setup too. Ducks guts. :icon_drool2:

I need to do a brew in the next few weeks, So I'd be up for doing it out the front of the store as a demo :)

Ok, pop in and lets have a chat. I'm sure we can arrange something. And if you have those flyers for the window for the brew club lets put them up??

I'd come in and say hi if you did a demo day.

Get Stu to bring his gear, I could bring mine and we could do a masterchef style brew off from a random collection of ingredients, coming up with a recipe on the spot.Resulting beers to be consumed at the first meeting!Haha.

At this point we're looking at next saturday, but I'll let TCBToormina make the official announcement ;)

No can do. Just moved house so all my gear not avaiable...plus have my kids for weekend and no car

All good Stu, we'll use my equipment for this one as it'll just be a basic demo of a recipe that I've done before, to drum up some interest in the shop/AG
I'm thinking a big brew day with multiple systems (even some kit/extract brewers) doing a couple of batches would be a great idea for one of the early club meetings, would be a good way to show a range of different brewing styles all at once to prospective new brewers/club members
I believe TCBToormina will be starting a new thread soon so we can stop hogging Mattdean's thread :p

Back