G'day from Brookvale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klangers

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while on these forums and decided to join the community as a more active member.

I'm a mechanical engineer based in Sydney with most of my work being in the brewing industry. I'm a keen all-grain home brewer and just down the road from 4 Pines and Nomad.

I have a pretty good idea of large scale brewing and packaging practices after working in West End, Tooheys, Maltshovel and an overseas stint in My Tho Brewery in Vietnam so always happy to discuss or help!

Cheers!

do you have a tig welder? :p

welcome aboard mate, look forward to picking your brains, what system are you using?

:beerdrink:

Hey Yob thanks for the welcome,

Sadly I don't have a TIG welder (only a stick), but it's been on my wishlist! I wonder if I can drop a few hints for xmas...

My system:
  • 40L electric urn kettle/HLT
  • 30L drink cooler with false bottom as mash tun
  • 20L stockpot sparge water/buffer tank
  • Plate HEX wort cooler (mini)
  • Brew fridge with temp control for fermentation/chill back
  • A sweet little freeby liquid-ring pump with DIY bypass flow control and inline thermometer that I use for mash recirc/wort cooling recirc, bottle rinsing etc etc
  • Bottle into long necks or Tapkings (which incidentally work very very well for beers that are aged <6 months) as I consult on the Tapking line and can pickup reject caps and sanitise them
My next project is to "acquire" another pump and recirc the hot liquor through the HEX along with my mash to enable more than a single-step infusion. I've tried decoction mashing which is pretty cool too. Also looking at malting my own barley for extra fun and games :super:

Music is another thing I love - baroque, jazz, blues, rock, funk and METAL always happy to talk

Welcome bloke. Good to have another knowledgeable member on and happy to share.

Love the look of your system and use of tapking, I'd wanted to have a look at that.

As you've probably figured, there are some members who shall remain nameless who have some decidedly 'non-engineered' wort producing systems, still making good beer and ones with excellent systems like yours that are also producing great beer.

Gotta love that you do some of this for a living and still want to do it at home!

Cheers Lord

IMO Bottling into Tapking is really only feasible from a labour hours point of view if you have a supply of new caps on handb

Cheers

Latest posts

Back