G'Day All

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4tune8

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to this forum and hope that I'm posting in the right spot.

Really appreciate the amount of info and help available so I thought I'd better introduce myself.

Name's Peter, did a bit of home brewing years ago but my partner and I bought a bar and live music venue 13 years ago. My job was operations and beer testing whilst my partner did all the party and good time stuff. Covid stuffed things a bit bit cos we had the joint sold with settlement on the 23/03 which just happened to be the same day that the whole hospo industry was shut down. We've been lucky that the buyer still wanted to go ahead with the sale but with a 30% payment and the rest to come come once things get back to 75% occupancy. Obviously the current stage 4 restrictions in Victoria have put that back a bit but we're hopeful that things will sort themselves within the near future.

So after being turned into an alcholic and no income I've had to come up with a cheaper way to feed my addiction, luckily an acquaintance of ours had a 3 vessel Keg King system for sale with new element in the kettle, a recirculating sparge? type thingo, immerse coil, heat exchanger and lots of other bits.

Last week I had my first crack at all grain brewing after picking up the malted grains, hops, yeast etc from a local supplier. We have the little mill that came with the kit so I got my partner to have a crack at cracking the grain, which she did with only a little whinging. My problem though was that I didn't realise how long the whole process would take as well as trying to nut out temperatures, recirculating the wort, transferring to the kettle and keeping an eye times etc., so after 12 stubbies I got a little lax with boiling the wort and adding enough hops (might have missed adding 90 grams somewhere) plus I couldn't get the kettle hot enough to actually boil because the gas ring I was given doesn't have enough oomph to get things really bubbling, it got quite hot with a little bubbling so I guess I'll see how it goes.

Bottling day today and put down nearly 6 slabs, I'm a bit nervous to see how it comes out as I would have liked to hit hit the temperatures a bit better.

Any whoo, I'll give an update in a month or so and let ya'll know how bad/good it came out.

I'm a newbie to this forum and hope that I'm posting in the right spot.

Really appreciate the amount of info and help available so I thought I'd better introduce myself.

Name's Peter, did a bit of home brewing years ago but my partner and I bought a bar and live music venue 13 years ago. My job was operations and beer testing whilst my partner did all the party and good time stuff. Covid stuffed things a bit bit cos we had the joint sold with settlement on the 23/03 which just happened to be the same day that the whole hospo industry was shut down. We've been lucky that the buyer still wanted to go ahead with the sale but with a 30% payment and the rest to come come once things get back to 75% occupancy. Obviously the current stage 4 restrictions in Victoria have put that back a bit but we're hopeful that things will sort themselves within the near future.

So after being turned into an alcholic and no income I've had to come up with a cheaper way to feed my addiction, luckily an acquaintance of ours had a 3 vessel Keg King system for sale with new element in the kettle, a recirculating sparge? type thingo, immerse coil, heat exchanger and lots of other bits.

Last week I had my first crack at all grain brewing after picking up the malted grains, hops, yeast etc from a local supplier. We have the little mill that came with the kit so I got my partner to have a crack at cracking the grain, which she did with only a little whinging. My problem though was that I didn't realise how long the whole process would take as well as trying to nut out temperatures, recirculating the wort, transferring to the kettle and keeping an eye times etc., so after 12 stubbies I got a little lax with boiling the wort and adding enough hops (might have missed adding 90 grams somewhere) plus I couldn't get the kettle hot enough to actually boil because the gas ring I was given doesn't have enough oomph to get things really bubbling, it got quite hot with a little bubbling so I guess I'll see how it goes.

Bottling day today and put down nearly 6 slabs, I'm a bit nervous to see how it comes out as I would have liked to hit hit the temperatures a bit better.

Any whoo, I'll give an update in a month or so and let ya'll know how bad/good it came out.
Great intro and welcome!

There is evidence out there that shows you don't need a vigorous boil, and that a light simmer is more than sufficient. It also has the added benefit of not darkening the beer. So do not stress, a simmer is plenty fine.

If you do feel you want a full rolling boil, try looking to make sure the regulator is high pressure!

Latest posts

Back