G'day All! Hops and Benchtop Font Question?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benju63

Reaction score
G'day guys and gals!

Thanks for the resources you've made here for the average punter! It's like a encyclopaedia of home brew.
Just couple of quick questions for now...

1. I've just received some hop rhizomes and plan on planting a.s.a.p., I am planting three different types and would ideally like them at 0.8 to 1.0 metres apart. How has your experience gone with for growth rates, tangling, etc, etc.???

2. I'm planning on putting a kegerator under a stone bench top. My concern is what type of font to go with as typically normal fonts have one large font hole and 4 screw / bolt holes around it. I'm a bit worried this could damage the area around font causing too much stress on the stone.
I've noticed cobra fonts could be done with one hole which would suit as they use a locking nut from the underside of the bench to lock.

I'm not planning on using a glycol / chiller system so does the cobra font still get cool enough and work well using only a fan font.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on these queries!

Cheers!

Gday benju. That's pretty close together for your rhizomes. Within a couple of years you won't be able to tell which is which when they pop up in springtime. Pots might be better if you don't have much space.

Thanks mate, I went about 1.4 metres apart. I'm not expecting much yield if any this season because I got them in pretty late.
Hopefully in their second season they will produce. I'll post a pic if they do any good.

Now hopefully someone can help me with the cobra font and whether they still work ok with just a font fan.

I've had a fair search but kind find much.
Thanks again.

Hi Benju.I don't think you will have any trouble growing hops as they go like stink.
I wet hopped a brew a couple years back and it was awesome.Tettnang, I think.
Stuffing green hops into a wash bag and into a keg will be an experience I will never forget.
I am talking numb lips and tongue...unreal.
Just be aware that when harvesting cones wear long sleeves and gloves as the bines are very irritating.
Cut them back to the ground when they die back in autumn.
After a few years they will grow so mad that they will smother your whole house.
Enjoy.
Cheers, Hadrian.

Curly is right, it might even be after one year of growth they throw shoots enough away that you don't know what variety is what when they pop up next season. I've had a couple random shoots pop up in between my in-ground rhizomes (~3.5m apart) that I've had to pull out, rip out because I didn't/couldn't know what it was. On top of that, once they get to a certain height they throw laterals that can extend quite a bit so tangling between varieties might even happen first season.

In regards to the font, Andale fonts have a single hole so they can be used... there's also the option of building your own font if you are semi handy on the tools or know a welder.

Latest posts

Back