Gawler Sa Bunyip Homebrew Story

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
OK - the Local paper - Gawler Bunyip- is doing a story on the Barossa Brewers Club... will be published tomorrow...

I have mentioned the website and they have printed the URL.

Flame suit is on...as i know i will cop some crap - as usual :beerbang:
But thought my fellow brew brothers & sisters might like to read it. :super:

Oct6beer

Heidi (Bunyip Editor)

*with pic by Dave

Wine connoisseurs step aside beer appreciation is the new wine appreciation.
Characteristics like aroma, flavour, body and style once reserved for wine are now applicable to beer.
Lyndochs Ken Jermey is debunking the myth that drinking beer is all about swilling.
Otherwise known as GMK - Grand Master Ken, he has founded the Barossa Brewers Club a group solely dedicated to the art of brewing and beer appreciation.
The first Friday of each month, beer aficionados from across the district come together for home brew demonstrations, style nights, imported beer nights, competitions and of course, beer appreciation most commonly known as product sampling.
While its a guaranteed recipe for a good night out, Ken says home brewing is serious business thats beginning to become a lucrative business too.
In fact the beer appreciation movement is growing so fast that lovers of the amber liquid will soon be able to study at Regency TAFE courses in beer appreciation, beer judging and believe it or not, beer and cheese matching.
A lot of people dont realise how vast the beer spectrum is compared to the wine spectrum, says Ken. Its more than double the wine spectrum in terms of different styles.
The BBC was born earlier this year after Ken relocated from interstate and was surprised to discover there was no local brewers club.
I came from Canberra and Canberra has a really good brewing club- the largest in Australia, Ken says. Wherever I go I end up helping people to brew beer which is why I started the club, hence my nickname, Grand Master Ken as given to me by my first beer apprentice Zac or BroSixpence to fellow Canberra Brew Club members.
Like all do-it-yourself hobbies, brewing beer is literally all about individual taste. Ken says no two of his home brews are the same - variety is the spice of life.
Theres definitely an art to brewing beer. Its one of those things you can make it as simple or as complex as you like. You brew the best beer that you can with the equipment you have on hand at the level/complexity you want to goto., he says.
While some club members are content with the supermarket home brew packs, others like Ken dabble in all grain brewing, a sophisticated process involving mashing, boiling, primary and secondary fermentations, which replicates professional brewing on a smaller home scale. Great fun but takes a fair bit of time and a very understanding wife!
We have a saying that there are no bad brewers, just different brewers. At the end of the day you brew for yourself.
And when it comes to home brews, the price is also right. According to Ken, for as little as $30 home brewers can make 23 litres of real good tasting, full bodied beer that is better than most readily available commercial beers. Feel free to come along to a meeting and test this out.
Currently, the BBC has around 16 members but new members are always welcome to sample the camaraderie and ales on offer.
And Ken says people should not be dissuaded if they are not experts. We all have to start somewhere. Homebrewing is a personal /individual thingAt the end of the day you brew for yourself.
The club meets this Friday night, October 7 at 7.30pm at Williamstown. For further details about the BBC phone Ken on 85244542 AH or email [email protected] or for general home brew information, visit www.aussiehomebrewer.com

GMK said:

You're right Ken, you will cop some stick over this one. My favourite line has to be:

Wherever I go I end up helping people to brew beer which is why I started the club, hence my nickname, Grand Master Ken as given to me by my first beer apprentice"

You certainly put yourself out there Ken.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
GMK said:

You're right Ken, you will cop some stick over this one. My favourite line has to be:

Wherever I go I end up helping people to brew beer which is why I started the club, hence my nickname, Grand Master Ken as given to me by my first beer apprentice"

You certainly put yourself out there Ken.

Cheers
MAH
[post="81191"][/post]​

Well done GMK, copping a little bit of stick is a small price to pay. It is great exposure for the home brewing community.

:beer:
Mothballs

Kenny. You have a big enough beer gut and can take the flak. You are a true embassador to the hobby. A good article..Well done mate.

:beer:
PeterS....

"WHERE EVER I BREW MY BEER IS MY HOME"

GREAT ARTICLE KEN! welldone been probing a few in my home town but most say to start a club to be associated with BBC and the responce is the usual PT PIRIE attitude "NAH TO DEAR TO BREW THAT FANCEY SHIT WE JUST WANT TO MAKE CHEAP PISS TO GET PISSED" no ACCOUNTING FOR TASTE WHEN YOU ARE DEALING WITH SCABS.
oh well looks like i will be the only pirie brewer that will be a member of the BBC .dosnt matter though I know how to learn new things and enjoy the craft .
Thanks againg Ken you deserve the right to be called GRAND MASTER KEN.

TANKED:)

PeterS said:
Kenny. You have a big enough beer gut .

PeterS....
[post="81214"][/post]​

If it matches your head you won't fall over Kenny :lol:

Well done mate !!

Keep the brew days happening in the Barossa ! :party:

Batz

will we be seeing the "pic by dave"

good article for the bunyip.

Onya Ken!
(I'd like to know when flavour and aroma Wan't important to beer, but that's just journo speak)
Top quote at the end - Amen!

Well done Kenny - hats off to the Grand Master... :beer:

GMK said:
OK - the Local paper - Gawler Bunyip- is doing a story on the Barossa Brewers Club... will be published tomorrow...

*with pic by Dave

[post="81185"][/post]​
I assume the pic will be your infamous inaugural Ventmatic pour you posted a while back :p :ph34r: .

Good story GMK and spreading the word further in such a way can only increase HB actvity. I am sure a few more will join us on AHB as a result, and business for GMKenterprises will be booming(i note the lucrative business mention in the article!).

Well done Ken.

cheers
roach

Those beers look good enough to drink Kenny.

Which of the 'apprentices' at the BBC made them, I wonder :p

Seriously, it is a fine bit of journalism, well promoted Ken. :super:

lovely work. My favourite part is when the journalist adds after they pen something ken said 'laughs ken'. :lol:......................hey I shouldn't have thought about this, all I can hear in my head now is ken laughing. :eek: :eek: :eek:....<quote>............laughter.........does anybody remember laughter? <end quote>

Seriously top marks GMK.
Man on a silver mountain...or is that stainless mountain?
Jayse

yes jayse i remember that,led zepplen,the song remains the same
fergi

top marks fergi that was the extact quote i mentioned, stairway to heaven live on the song remains the same live album.

'All my love'
Jayse

Did you get much feedback from the article GMK ?

Beers,
Doc

I am in this weeks edition of the "The Bunyip"

trying to find the link....any help would be good.
Article is on page 12 "Brewing up a post vintage special"

I went out to Saint Halletts Winery and showed/instructed them on making 3 different Kits & Bits recipes.
As Lion Nathen now owns Saint Hallett - we drank James Squires on the day and made the following beers:
- IPA in the James Squires IPA Style.
- Golden ALe clone
- Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsner in the JS Style.

All the Beers are fermenting away and they should be bottled for their post vintage party.

Somehow got misquoted by the journalist - but i did not get to proof read this one.

Ah well - promotes the Barossa Brewing Club and Brewing so all is good.

GMK said:
Somehow got misquoted by the journalist - .

[post="108660"][/post]​

Well done Kenny , feel just a little sorry for the journalist...bet his ears hurt :p

Batz

Batz said:
GMK said:
Somehow got misquoted by the journalist - .

[post="108660"][/post]​

Well done Kenny , feel just a little sorry for the journalist...bet his ears hurt :p

Batz
[post="108664"][/post]​

Journalist was a nice looking 6' red head girl named Sara....

:lol:

Well the way you lay on the charm too the ladies,I bet she had a wonderful time :p

Batz

Latest posts

Back