Gauze Mat for Erlenmeyer Flask

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solipsist

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anybody know a good place to get a gauze mat suitable for heating up a 3L Erlenmeyer flask on a standard kitchen gas stove? I've had a quick look at brewing suppliers online and haven't found anything.

Would prefer that my money goes to a homebrew shop/supplier, but maybe someone knows a good science supply website?

Thanks,
s.

I have a 3l Erlenmeyer flash and place it directly on the gas stove. Can you elaborate? What's the purpose of the gauze?

I've been using my borosilicate flask with a bare flame for years with no dramas.

If you do want something to sit between the flask and flame why not use a heat/flame disperser which you'd use with a saucepan? They are cheap, and available from most supermarkets and kitchenware stores.

JD

I tried drying a genuine Erlenmeyer Flask once to add DME via my stove and it cracked.

Since that experiment, I ensure that I let the flasks dry naturally and I only apply heat when there is liquid in the flask.

I am sure a gauze mat would have dispersed the heat better so while I haven't broken any more flasks since my expedited drying experiement, I am interested as well.

Cheers

Roller

Roller997 said:
I tried drying a genuine Erlenmeyer Flask once to add DME via my stove and it cracked.

Since that experiment, I ensure that I let the flasks dry naturally and I only apply heat when there is liquid in the flask.

I am sure a gauze mat would have dispersed the heat better so while I haven't broken any more flasks since my expedited drying experiement, I am interested as well.

Cheers

Roller
What do you mean by "genuine Erlenmeyer"? Erlenmeyer is just the type of flask, was it a genuine quality flask? I.e. Schott Duran or Brand?

Schott Duran standard (not heavy duty) are the ones you want.

You can't add a flame directly to an empty boro flask and expect it to not crack. You can on the other hand apply flame directly to a boro flask with liquid in it and have zero problems. I do this at work and at home (with keg king flasks, not even a fancy brand) no issues. You can also put them on a low temp electric hot plate, but be careful you can't have the metal glowing red.

I got a heat spreader from the local Chinese import shop. About $5, if I recall correctly.

I had cracked schott flasks as well in the past. the problem is not the naked flame but the metal inserts where the flask would sit on on a kitchen stove. the frame heats up too much which causes uneven heat distribution on the lask bottom.

what the OP is after are those heat dispersion mats you would have used in physics class together with a bunsen burner.

I remember those, the asbestos ones :unsure:

Bunnings do a flame disperser thingo for the GasMate camping stoves but I don't know exactly what they look like... I just saw the boxes in passing the other day. Worth a look if you're around there.

solipsist said:
Hey,

Does anybody know a good place to get a gauze mat suitable for heating up a 3L Erlenmeyer flask on a standard kitchen gas stove? I've had a quick look at brewing suppliers online and haven't found anything.

Would prefer that my money goes to a homebrew shop/supplier, but maybe someone knows a good science supply website?

Thanks,
s.
A small square of thin fibre-cement sheet might do the trick (eg. HardiePanel).

Edit: hyphen

You'll be lucky to find what you are talking about anyway. I haven't used a Bunsen burner to heat anything in a lab since high school. People don't tend to use burners unless they are flaming instruments for quick sterilisation. Try finding a gas tap in a lab these days.

I think he means a woven stainless mesh mat.

Good idea

Not sure where to get one.

Tried the livingstone lab equipment site?

Had a quick look, too much stuff and not sure of the exact name

I was using one for my 2L flask on a little propane camp stove
It made it near on impossible to boil properly, so I tossed the wire mat and have just been putting the flask straight on top of the riser on the camp stove

Here ya go.

You can get laboratory gauze mats at Science Supply Australia (www.ssapl.com.au/ ) located at Mitcham in Melbourne.

Various types available: plain wire gauze in various sizes all under $2; wire gauze with ceramic centre costing from $9 to $19; and also Nichrome (whatever that is) centre and copper gauze available.

(to find just enter 'gauze' in the search bar at top left of linked home page above).

Alternatively, schools often clean out old lab gear at end of year. If you've got any schoolteacher friends maybe ask them to go through the bins :)

The gas cooktop we have has 2 metal dimpled plates used for simmering pots,maybe so etching similar will do the trick.
image.jpg

I use a simmer ring. Acquired from the local $2 store

TheWiggman said:
I have a 3l Erlenmeyer flash and place it directly on the gas stove. Can you elaborate? What's the purpose of the gauze?

Florian said:
I had cracked schott flasks as well in the past. the problem is not the naked flame but the metal inserts where the flask would sit on on a kitchen stove. the frame heats up too much which causes uneven heat distribution on the flask bottom.

what the OP is after are those heat dispersion mats you would have used in physics class together with a bunsen burner.
Florian hit the nail on the head for what I was thinking. Currently my flask sits on the metal trivet on my gas stove top when I'm heating it and I'm weary of this arrangement. Probably isn't an issue, but I have read recommendations for not using flasks in this way (ie. naked flame is OK but not sitting on metal trivet on top of naked flame). I've noticed burn marks on the bottom of the flask from the trivets (they are probably burnt water marks and they wipe off with a bit of elbow grease) and on saucepans etc. For $10 I'd put my mind at ease by having a gauze mat or similar.

I have cracked a flask before (a cheapy borosilicate that I found out "wasn't designed to be used with a naked flame") but have a Schott Duran now.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Latest posts

Back