Gatemate 3 ring cast iron burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlyf

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the Gatemate 3 ring cast iron burner from bunnings?

"Ideal for camping or use at home and connects to any BBQ (POL) cylinder. Accommodates over sized pots & is also ideal for cooking sauces, crabs, lobster or any shell fish.
  • 25.6MJ/h total burner output
  • Includes a hose (1200mm) & regulator
  • Connects to a (POL) BBQ cylinder
  • Constructed from sturdy cast iron
  • A portable & versatile cooking appliance."
http://www.bunnings.com.au/gatemate-3-ring-cast-iron-burner_p3180208

VM22gwy.jpg

Yep got one of those for my single batch keggle. Gets the job done on the bbq reg but a medium pressure reg would be better on it. Bit slow to ramp up on the bbq reg but it works and will hold a rolling boil

pist said:
Yep got one of those for my single batch keggle. Gets the job done on the bbq reg but a medium pressure reg would be better on it. Bit slow to ramp up on the bbq reg but it works and will hold a rolling boil
Sweet as mate cheers. So your keggle being what, 50L?

You'll probably need to build some sort of stand to support the pot/keggle and house the burner. Search burner stand. Heaps of posts/ideas on here

pist said:
You'll probably need to build some sort of stand to support the pot/keggle and house the burner. Search burner stand. Heaps of posts/ideas on here
Hmm, good call. I'll have a look

I use one, have a chinese adjustable reg from eBay hooked up to it
My stand is an old 4wd wheel with a channel cut out for the burner to stick out, 2 pieces of angle iron welded over the top for the keggle to sit on and then 3 pieces of angle iron as legs
It's been working great for 5 years now, a little rusty but a hit with a wire wheel would fix that up

sp0rk said:
I use one, have a chinese adjustable reg from eBay hooked up to it
My stand is an old 4wd wheel with a channel cut out for the burner to stick out, 2 pieces of angle iron welded over the top for the keggle to sit on and then 3 pieces of angle iron as legs
It's been working great for 5 years now, a little rusty but a hit with a wire wheel would fix that up
Mind posting up a pic?

Any reason I couldn't just boil on a table with this under the pot?

had one, sold it for a wok burner (which is great to use with a commercial wok for great stir frys!) if you ever plan on going to double batches or want your wort to reliably push past more than a soft gentle boil, look no further than one of these bad boys. i found wind interfered with the ring burner too much and wasted way too much gas due to the weak flame. i get 5-6 batches and several bbqs out of one gas cylinder now compared with around 3-4 with the ring burner.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=rambo%20wok%20burner

Fourstar said:
had one, sold it for a wok burner (which is great to use with a commercial wok for great stir frys!) if you ever plan on going to double batches or want your wort to reliably push past more than a soft gentle boil, look no further than one of these bad boys. i found wind interfered with the ring burner too much and wasted way too much gas due to the weak flame. i get 5-6 batches and several bbqs out of one gas cylinder now compared with around 3-4 with the ring burner.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=rambo%20wok%20burner
Yo, 4star, your blog could do with a bit of work. I was well keen for a read.

Lincoln2 said:
Yo, 4star, your blog could do with a bit of work. I was well keen for a read.
it was a plan that never got rolling. when i started it i wanted it to become something like http://craftypint.com/ obviously i should have pulled my finger out early to corner the market!

Thus, goto crafty. they have more resources than i do! :)

I have one of these from the 50% off BBQ equipment eBay sale a while ago. Have tested up to a 50L boil in 80L pot no problems...

Lowlyf said:
Mind posting up a pic?
Here you go
There's also one more piece of angle just sitting between the 2 pieces over the top, acting as a flame shield to stop the tap/tap handle on my keggle from getting red hot

EApQK.jpg

Lowlyf said:
Any reason I couldn't just boil on a table with this under the pot?
Reflected heat will more than likely char your table.
Not recommended.
I use two of these, one under the HLT and one under the kettle. I have the vessels raised off the burner with some bricks, and the burner sits on a sheet of metal to reflect heat upwards.

warra48 said:
Reflected heat will more than likely char your table.
Not recommended.
I use two of these, one under the HLT and one under the kettle. I have the vessels raised off the burner with some bricks, and the burner sits on a sheet of metal to reflect heat upwards.
Oh that's pretty good. I might do the same until I get a stand of some description

sp0rk said:
Here you go
There's also one more piece of angle just sitting between the 2 pieces over the top, acting as a flame shield to stop the tap/tap handle on my keggle from getting red hot

EApQK.jpg
That does the job. I'd love that.

Back